2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NEED HELP! Dealer cant fix my electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Dealer cant fix my electrical problem

My truck will cut out while running like the asd is being shut down. And randomly will die while driving or stopped. The truck will start back up but its a hassle. I put a mopar pcm in and that fixed the problem for a couple of weeks but then it started up again and got so bad on the way home that I had to be towed. Crank and cam sensors are new but not mopar....maybe thats my problem and obdII is not picking it up. It died at the dealer today once while idleing and threw a 351 code ignition circut but he did not seem to do anything with it because it started back up for him. He was out of things to try but decided to keep it an extra day just to screw around with it. Any help? if they cant find it i will try a mopar crank and cam sensor and if thats not it then I will push for another pcm. but after that its down to buying another truck and swaping my drivetrain.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try a new ignition coil. P0351 is an ignition soft code related to coil voltage.

I got a "false" 351 code with my MSD ignition, but the tach adapter fixed that.

My other guess would be that since it went away after swapping the PCM then its due to a sensor that feeds adaptive info to the PCM and once the PCM starts "learning" info from this faulty sensor, you get failure. The new PCM essentially a PCM reset.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
yakkier
Banned

^^ leave it to the squirrel master, HE SHOULD POST MORE SHOULDNT HE!......

Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yakkier
^^ leave it to the squirrel master, HE SHOULD POST MORE SHOULDNT HE!......
Agreed. We miss you aim!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I replaced mine with Napa sensor. Then after 2 weeks when you first start it up when it was cold it would just shut off within 15 minutes no codes at all. Then you could go on your way and shut it off and start it up as much as you wanted as long as it didn’t completely cool down or it would do the same thing. Finally last Monday it shut down twice within just of few seconds and it finally thru a code p1391 (loss of crank or cam signal).
I ordered OEM from http://moparonlineparts.com/ put it in Wed. and haven’t had any trouble since.
Yes Napa gave me my money back on the sensor.
Dave

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Dealer cant fix my electrical problem