2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pin Hole Exhaust Leak from Muffler....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin Hole Exhaust Leak from Muffler....

Well, it seems like my Exhaust is starting to go..... That means new Exhaust!!! Don't know what I want to buy yet, I will prolly take it to Midas and have them do it. Its probably cheaper than buying a kit from Flowmaster or Magnaflow. I think I am going to go with a flowmaster. Not sure which one yet though. Problem with you tube is that every one puts the dang cam right behind the exhaust and it makes it sound a lot louder than it really is. I want some thing that is a bit louder than stock for cursing and sitting at a red light, but when I stomp on it I want the entire block to hear it. Problem is won't be able to tell if I like it until its on. lol

Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM
yakkier
Banned

I personally wouldn't take it to an exhaust shop, you can get the kits from summit for fairly cheap pre bent with out mufflers. Just lose to cat and slot and weld a nut onto the Y pipe you're going to replace the cat with that way you can still use your pre cat O2 sensor. You will have less problems down the road like that and you will still get the nice no restriction flow from the none cat systems, then cap it off with either a cherry bomb glass pack or a 40 or 50 series flowmaster.

It's totally up to you on what you want to spend your money on, just most exhaust shops like gemini-goodyear or midas wont replace or remove your cat, and if you haven't already replaced your cat or removed it and if you ever had or do have a plenum gasket leak it will clog the hell out of your cat and cause all kinds of hell with your performance.

Last edited by yakkier; 03-29-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Main reason I want to take it to a shop is because I don't have a welder that I could use. And will it still pass NYS inspection emissions test with no cat?

And the plenum is going to get done this summer. Going to get the APS Precision kit.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
98BlueSport
Professional

If you honestly want a loud truck, that sounds great at idle. Go with a V-Force. Midas did mine. I went 3 inches off the cat, into the V-Force and 2 1/2 duals out. It is as loud as my buddies chevy that duals straight piped. And my truck was Single straight pipe when I bought it and I like the way it sounds now than straight piped

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo mufflers like magnaflow and other knockoffs are usually fairly quiet while cruising but get louder when you get on it

Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98BlueSport
If you honestly want a loud truck, that sounds great at idle. Go with a V-Force. Midas did mine. I went 3 inches off the cat, into the V-Force and 2 1/2 duals out. It is as loud as my buddies chevy that duals straight piped. And my truck was Single straight pipe when I bought it and I like the way it sounds now than straight piped

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
turbo mufflers like magnaflow and other knockoffs are usually fairly quiet while cruising but get louder when you get on it
Ive never heard of a V-Force. I'm not dead set on Flowmaster ether, I like Magnaflow, and Gibson. They have good sounds, I will have to do some shopping around, maybe put an ad in Craigs list to ask people with the 5.9L Mopar if I can come and hear what aftermarket exhaust system they have.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Signal 2
Amateur

I'd go to MIDAS for quality exhaust work about the same time I'd take a vehicle to Jiffy-Lube for an engine rebuild. But that's just me.

To answer your question, I don't live in NY, but can't imagine you passing emissions without a cat. If a visual inspection is part of the process, the cat will probably be the first thing they'll look for.

If your plenum is leaking that will also affect emissions.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

When my muffler went i cut it out, and put a straightpipe in...it was decent, then i went offroading, bottomed out and it ripped my straightpipe off, and now my exhaust ends after the cat lol...shes loud, but i can keep it quiet if putting around, but if i stomp on it, you can hear it from far away lol. So cut the muffler off and put a turndown on it. Thats a nice $10 fix for the time being. So you can save up and get what you REALLY want

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Kaldir
Veteran

Plenum is slightly leaking, not bad enough to fail emissions yet. And I don't expect to get top of the line awesome work if I went to Midas, but it would be cheaper than buying a full kit from Flowmaster, Gibson, or Magnaflow. All they have to do is run the pipe and weld it. Hell, I could always run every thing myself, then take it to a shop and have them weld every thing.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Ebay has a flowmaster kit for $203 shipped. I bought it a few weeks ago and put it on myself. It fit perfect and included enough clamps if you dont have a welder. (I do so I welded it together) Sounds nice at idle and has a low rumble. It's a 40 series flowmaster single in dual outlet and included 3.5" chrome tips

Quick Reply: Pin Hole Exhaust Leak from Muffler....