2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
I want to make sure I understand this. Your O.D. units Overdrive clutch units set up has 1 pressure plate, 5 steels and 5 frictions and no reaction plate?
Is this correct setup?

Thanks Dave
Yes sir. From what I understand, the last steel serves as the reaction plate. I ended up reassembling it the same way it was.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another question for you. I recently rebuilt my 46rh in my 1994 ram 1500 4x4. I installed a remanned torque converter, remanned front pump, TCI Pro Super kit (paper and rubber kit w/frictions and steels + kickdown band), low/reverse band, and a Transgo Shift (TFOD-HD2 I think its hard to remember exactly). The transmission works fine in all gears but it does not go into neutral when in park. When the engine is revved the tranny bogs it down, I tested the limit once and did not get past 3k rpm's. The shift linkage is out of adjustment but is frozen up and I can't adjust it.

I also have fluid coming out of the dipstick. I relocated the trans vent to the top of the transmission case so I could water proof the tranny. I thought the vent was clogged but I can blow down it into the tranny so it is not clogged. There is also transfluid coming out of this hose. 500 miles after the tranny was rebuilt I changed the fluid and filter and it has only been 3k miles since. I do not know the tranny fluid level as there always seems to be fluid in the dipstick tube. Once I managed to get an accurate reading and the tranny fluid showed low. I do not know what is causing this. I do not see how the tranny fluid could be so high that it is coming out of a hose attached to the top of the trans! Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would first address the shift linkage. Work on it and unfreeze it or replace it, make sure you are getting true park and not half park half reverse.

How exactly did you relocate the vent, take me through your process.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonteC
i would first address the shift linkage. Work on it and unfreeze it or replace it, make sure you are getting true park and not half park half reverse.

How exactly did you relocate the vent, take me through your process.
I will work on the linkage next time I get a chance. On the linkage I forgot to add that I have disconnected it from the trans and tried to push the trans shifter further into park. The shifter arm on the tranny did not move any further and I still had the problem. I assume it is internal. The A727 rebuilding book I have says that it could be a clogged filter (3k miles on the one in there), clogged tranny cooling lines (brand new with new tube and fin tranny cooler), clogged vent, or fluid level to high. I have a B+M cast aluminum trans pan if that makes any difference.

On the vent I drilled and tapped the vent on the pump and installed a 1/4 NPT plug, being very careful to remove all metal shavings (pump was on a work bench). Then I drilled and tapped the top of the case in a thick area above the front clutch retainer/kickdown band area. I put in a brass 90 degree male/female elbow and attached a 5/16 hose barb to this. There is rubber vacuum hose running up to the engine compartment. The hose is away from all heat sources and is not kinked. The male end of the 90 degree elbow that goes into the tranny has plenty of clearance from the front clutch retainer/kickdown band. There is a short write up with pictures of a similar setup on Pirate 4x4. If I can find it I will post a link.

Link: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=vent

Last edited by Gerehead8; 04-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Do you have your cooler running through the radiator? If so make sure the lines are not hooked up backwards.

If everything checks out, you may have drilled the hole incorrectly for your vent mod.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
youve pretty much got it covered dave. I use mostly the alto high energy greens, the alto reds with kolenes would also be a good route but raybestoes makes the blue plate clutches that i use in racing applications, the blues are $$$$.

You might also want to upgrade to a 5 pinion front and rear planet, steel of course. I always upgrade the 3rd gear drum from 3 to 4 frictions, and the o/d brake gets upgraded from 4 to 5. Dont use a stock style 2nd gear band, use the aftermarket band, WITTRANS.COM has them and most every transmission part.

I use precision of new hampton converters. http://www.gopnh.com/ They carry an "RV" converter with the optional billet back, that is a very nice product.

BTW i dont have to own it to put all of these nice parts into it.
Would this be a good kit to use to upgrade to? http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/...RH-A618/Detail
It seems to cover everthing you mention except of course the planets.
Seems the only upgrade rear planet i can find is 4 or 6 pinion would 6 pinion work, it is aluminum?
I want to keep this truck along time want tranny to last.
Thanks again for your help.

Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Bump!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
Would this be a good kit to use to upgrade to? http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/...RH-A618/Detail
It seems to cover everthing you mention except of course the planets.
Seems the only upgrade rear planet i can find is 4 or 6 pinion would 6 pinion work, it is aluminum?
I want to keep this truck along time want tranny to last.
Thanks again for your help.

Dave
I dont care for that band they carry, i like the borg warner band, much better design. Transtec will work, i dont prefer them. I misspoke, there is no 5 pinion planet for the rear, only a 6 pinion planet, if you want it, it will work fine. BTW if your not towing or have big tires then i wouldnt worry about upgrading the planets, i would invest my money elsewhere, but if you have oversized tires or plan on working the truck then the planets are a good idea.

You could literally spend THOUSANDS in parts alone, trust me, every time i go on PATC i drool over the nice upgrades they carry, and i love looking at my sonnax catalogs.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Can you link to a good master kit with your upgrades for what I want to do?
Thanks again.
Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Try and navigate through this website tonight and tomorrow ill throw some numbers to you.

www.WITTRANS.com

Quick Reply: hey guys