2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck won't start...starter solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck won't start...starter solenoid?

So I was at work today, and at my lunch break, I attempted to start the truck, which resulted in nothing happening. I tried several times, and eventually, the key got stuck before the start position. So, I purchased a ignition lock cylinder. The ignition lock cylinder turned out to be good, it was the ignition switch that was bad. So I returned the cylinder and replaced the switch, which resulted in the key turning as normal, but the engine still not firing. At this time, it was dark, and I had to get home, so I jumped the solenoid and went. I then noticed that I had 3 idiot lights on. The ABS light, brake light, and air bag light.

Could the starter solenoid be causing the starting issue?
Or is it more likely a bad ground wire, or another wire being fried?
Would the 3 idiot lights be something I f***ed up by jumping the solenoid/replacing ignition switch?

I'm stumped.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 AM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the truck started and ran by jumping the solenoid, I would check the fuse that feeds that starter. According to the '01 FSM, it is fuse 9 (30A), in PDC. It could be blown. If that is not the case, check your starter relay, and start working out from there.

Is it a manual or auto? You have to have the clutch in to start a manual, and it has to be in park or neutral to start the auto.

Not sure what would cause the other lights to come on... I'd start with fixing the starting first and see if the other issues go away. I can't see how jumping the soleoid would have caused those problems...

Thanks,
Cartman

The following users liked this post:
Tracy Standridge (01-03-2021)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM
yakkier
Banned

Jumping the coil is a bad idea anyways, it usually ends in something getting cooked.

Those 3 lights might be an issue with a speed sensor, atleast the abs and brake light come on when the speedsensor is blown, the airbag is news to me.

goodluck and keep us posted

Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

If it gets down to it pull the starter and bench test it. i had mine go out awhile back. Not the bad to do, if that is the problem

Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Here is a link that might be helpful if you are going to pull your starter apart: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:34 PM
hammerhead1985

if automatic, it could be your park/neutral safety switch. if it goes bad, it won't start...

Old 04-04-2010, 01:47 PM
yakkier
Banned

^ +10 i was going to mention that but i couldnt remember the name of the freaking thing

Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 AM
rczanstke
Professional

So i figured out what the problem was.

I spent a few hours with a multimeter testing wires to see where the current stopped. After becoming incredibly frustrated, I called a friend of mine to ask his opinion, which was this:

Check for a blown fuse.

And guess what? I spent 3 hours trying to find a blown fuse. I feel like an idiot.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Jedi28

What about a 2001 Dodge 2wd 5.2L? It just clicks when trying to start it? I changed batteries and still clicking.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
EricCartman
Veteran

The relay clicks or the solenoid clicks?

Quick Reply: truck won't start...starter solenoid?