2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 AM
03KBcobra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help

This is what i got, 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with automatic. Came out to go to work and found huge puddle of trans fluid under my truck, it was coming from bell housing. That weekend i removed trans hoping it was just a front pump seal, no such luck. I ended finding the front oil pump bearing went bad and seized to the torque convertor. I replaced the front pump and torque convertor with oem parts, removed the trans pan and replaced the filter and cleaned the pan. No shavings were found. I got the trans installed in the truck and now and it's either in park or in drive that's it. All my shift linkages are good along with my electrical connectors. The reverse lights come on but it wont budge in reverse, it just free rev's. It won't even move in nuetral and yes i tried un hooking the linkage on the trans and manually doing it. I can't even push it in nuetral. I had to un hook the drive shaft in order to push it backwards in my driveway. I have no more patience or money to put into the truck at the moment and any one with trans knowledge to shed some light on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 AM
yakkier
Banned

Im not going to even try to answer any of your questions, because i dont know enough to help you out But i can tell you MonteC is our trans guy on here and he will be with you pretty soon if he hasnt gone to bed yet.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put sealing rings on the new pump stator? The direct clutch comes on in reverse, if you have no direct clutch feed then you will not have reverse, and the not moving even with the truck off sounds like you have something bound up internally. Does it move forward on its own?
If the parts are correct then it sounds like you installed something incorrectly.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
03KBcobra

Thanks for the responses i've been away from the computer for a few days now. Well i had a family friend who apparently is a trans tech at a local chrysler dodge dealer (good to know now lol) take the trans apart and he said the front clutch was bad and there was a thrust washer by the sun gear that was chewed up and causing the lock up issue. He replaced the front clutch and thrust washer but he found the sun gear shell warped. The dealer told me today they have discontinued that part and only comes in a trans assembly. All my local trans shops don't have one either so if anyone has one i'm willing to buy it.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, What he said ^. There about 15 bucks for a used one.

Quick Reply: Transmission help