2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans overheat, no O/D 99 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trans overheat, no O/D 99 Ram

Well my dad was just here explaining a problem with his Ram to me. He was headed somewhere with it, and it kicked out of OD on him, then right after that the trans temp light came on. He shut it off and let er cool down a bit, then headed back home. Again down the road the OD kicks out and the light came on. He shut it off and started it right back up and the light went out. Is this an overheating problem? or OD problem? I searched and found a thread in which Sheriff mentioned that the OD will shut off if the trans gets too hot....

The truck is mint, its a 99 1500, 2WD 360 with only around 130000 kms on it, runs like it just came outta the showroom. I told him about the evil checkball deal, dunno if that's the problem yet or not.... another thing, do the trans lines run through the rad, AND through a separate cooler? They do on both ours, his has the tow package I believe however.

Any ideas? I told him I'd look into it for him....

Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
blong4life
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a bad temp sensor. Mines throwing a code for trans over temp; no od disable though, and this is right after you start it cold. I'd wait to see when the light comes on and take a reading on the fluid, and how does the fluid look?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

he said the fluid looks fine and isn't burnt... and his wasn't doin it cold, it was after he had driven probably hlaf hour or an hour before it started... No codes on it either.

where is the sender at on these?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
yakkier
Banned

Change out the filter and do a tranny flush, some crud could have got up in the system and is causin the sensor to go ape ****.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Funny thing is i just read an article on the same prob your having lastnight and cant remeber where it was I was looking at Sure Cure kits and Different Tranny Vendors, I dont know if this is relevant to your problem but I'll try to remember where i read it..........Copied this from somewhere not mineFirst, understand that the 46RE is an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated transmission.

There are a number of things that can affect a no 3-4 shift:

*Assuming that the OD Switch on the stalk is off, the switch could be defected causing the OD circuit to be defeatured. This does happen!

*Overdrive circuit fuse is open.

*The overdrive switch circuit either open or shorted. Check the connectors at the transmission for corroded terminals. This is very common on older RAMs.

*Incorrect outputs from the Distance or Coolant Sensors. A punky Distance Sensor can caused a weird collection of symptoms, including no 3-4 shift. Also, remember that the 46RE will not shift in to fourth gear until the transmission fluid reaches a certain temperature. If the coolant temperature sensor is bad you will not get a 3-4 shift. If this problem is recent to the winter weather, this should be a prime suspect.

*Incorrect output or intermittent output from the Throttle Position Sensor. On Dodge trucks the Throttle Position Sensor can cause all kinds of problems. Maybe even global warming!

*The Neutral Sense circuit to the PCM is open or shorted.

*The Overdrive Solenoid either shorted, open, or weak. On older 46REs the solenoid plungers became partially magnetized over time causing inoperation.

*The Overdrive Solenoid feed orfice is clogged in the valve body. A very common problem on vehicles that DID NOT receive a reqular transmission filter and fluid maintence.

*Low hydraulic pressure. This can be caused by a number of things, too. But before you suspect the pump I'll bet that the Anti-Drain Back valve in the transmission line is clogged. Some shops clean them, but I would recommend replacing it and changing out the fluid.

*Failed Overdrive Clutch. Unfortunately, this is somewhat common in earlier years, especially vehicles that towed heavy loads or were used in hilly country with the vehilce in overdrive.

*Failure of the Overdrive Piston Seal. Usually not a problem unless very high mileage or Dexron-Mercon fluid was used.

*Clogged Overdrive Check Valve. The result of dirty transmission fluid.

*If this transmission has been "overhauled" or "rebuilt" by an independent and they DID NOT use a Mopar transmission overhaul kit, it is very possible that Overdrive Piston has the incorrect spacer installed.

*PCM failure (the least likely).

Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

1 more not mine, copied,.......Dropping out of overdrive is a default symptom when the transmission fluid temperature sensor detects an overheat.

It would be beneficial to know the history of this vehicle, but my first suspect would be a clogged anti-drain back valve. When partially clogged, fluid flow to the transmission is greatly reduced.

You should try to determine if the fluid is really over heated. If the ATF smells hot and measures over 240 degrees F, then there's a problem. If not, it could mean the transmission fluid temperature sensor is defective

Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Delete the check ball (it's nothing more than a fluid flow restrictor anyway). Disconnect and blow out your cooler lines and cooler. I advise against flushing the tranny.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

***UPDATE***

Well, we dropped the truck off at a trans shop the other day just for them to have a look at it. He got it back yesterday, to the tune of over 1600 bucks for a rebuild. I guess somethin in the OD unit let go, broke the housing in half or somethin, where the output shaft goes through...(I dunno a lot about the internals of these trannys lol)... fluid was pouring into somewhere's it shouldn't be, but none leaking OUT of the tranny...

He is pretty sure he did it early winter, got er stuck and got mad at it and had it tramped and just sat there and spun or somethin lol.... He never ran it all winter, but it had been driven quite a bit since then, he don't know how it lasted this long....

They also put in a big new cooler in front of the ac condensor, and bypassed the stock cooler and rad altogether. Looks like there is still a check valve in the lines, but it's new at least....

Just thought I'd post up the actual problem and solution in case it helps someone else out down the road. Maybe our resident transmission expert MonteC can elaborate on what I'm tryin to explain about what actually failed, I wish I had been there when he picked it up....

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The intermediate shaft center support, is what it sounds like your talking about.

Quick Reply: Trans overheat, no O/D 99 Ram