MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only) - Page 3 - DodgeForum.com


Notices

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Closed Thread
 
 
  #21  
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC
MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin5754 View Post
I have a 95 dodge ram 5.9 4x4 AT... not sure what the transmission is but ive heard there is only one kind for it my question is i have the transmission pan off im doing a fluid and filter change i noticed A LOT of metal shavings on magnet it has also been slipping is there anything i can check while pan is off
Sorry bud, rebuild time.
  #22  
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
GC99RAM
GC99RAM is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 113
Default Will not shift out of first at times and harsh first and reverse engagements

Hey,

I am hoping that you will be able to help me with this problem that I am having with this transmission.

At any given time hot or cold, my transmission will not shift out of first gear. I can try to manually shift it from 1st to 2nd and sometimes it will work and drive normal, but like today it just will not shift out of first at all until it has decided that it wants to stop playing around and shift normally. When it's acting normal it shifts fine without slippage. I checked the fluid in neutral and everything checks out just fine and there is no burn smell.....

I do notice that most of the time the engagement into first and reverse in harsh and will slam into gear... almost like it is getting way to much pressure and slams the transmission into gear.

I have played around with it enough to know that when I first crank it and manually put the transmission in 1st and manually shift it to 2nd, it will shift fine and then I can put it in drive and I will not experience any more problems until I forget to do that and put it in drive first to be reminded that it wants to not shift out of first again.. HELP!
  #23  
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
yakkier94
yakkier94 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Default

**** i just thought of something, MonteC please correct me if im wrong and im just throwing this out there buttttttt how about the TPS..
  #24  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
smoke&dust
smoke&dust is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, MI
Posts: 9
Default

THNX - I'll start accumulating those parts. I use to be an eng/trans wrench @ a Mopar dealer, back in the 80's, so this'll be a cakewalk. I just don't have the spec tools to deal with the OD units on these.
  #25  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
rideordie's Avatar
rideordie
rideordie is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 431
Default

Ok, background info: I am 18 years old, just bought my 2nd Ram. I am headed off to college next year, so I really don't have a lot of money to throw around unless I really need to.

My truck drives pretty well, putting some $$ into the engine (plenum, timing chain, etc.) shortly here. As far as the tranny, its got 130k on it, but still shifts fine, into all the gears, OD engages/disengages fine, etc. The only time it ever shifts late is some of the time at WOT, and it struggles up hills (but I attribute that to a lack of power from the plenum).

The fluid appears to be about the right color as well. My question is if it is worth the money to worry about changing the fluid/filter in the tranny, given that it is working well as is? Like I said, don't want to waste money, but I take care of my vehicles, and want to have the tranny last as long as it can realistically.
  #26  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC
MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC99RAM View Post
Hey,

I am hoping that you will be able to help me with this problem that I am having with this transmission.

At any given time hot or cold, my transmission will not shift out of first gear. I can try to manually shift it from 1st to 2nd and sometimes it will work and drive normal, but like today it just will not shift out of first at all until it has decided that it wants to stop playing around and shift normally. When it's acting normal it shifts fine without slippage. I checked the fluid in neutral and everything checks out just fine and there is no burn smell.....

I do notice that most of the time the engagement into first and reverse in harsh and will slam into gear... almost like it is getting way to much pressure and slams the transmission into gear.

I have played around with it enough to know that when I first crank it and manually put the transmission in 1st and manually shift it to 2nd, it will shift fine and then I can put it in drive and I will not experience any more problems until I forget to do that and put it in drive first to be reminded that it wants to not shift out of first again.. HELP!

Yakkier is on to something. A bad TPS would present it self in this manner. I would also check the cable.

If both of those check out clean your governor pressure solenoid and sensor.
  #27  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC
MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie View Post
Ok, background info: I am 18 years old, just bought my 2nd Ram. I am headed off to college next year, so I really don't have a lot of money to throw around unless I really need to.

My truck drives pretty well, putting some $$ into the engine (plenum, timing chain, etc.) shortly here. As far as the tranny, its got 130k on it, but still shifts fine, into all the gears, OD engages/disengages fine, etc. The only time it ever shifts late is some of the time at WOT, and it struggles up hills (but I attribute that to a lack of power from the plenum).

The fluid appears to be about the right color as well. My question is if it is worth the money to worry about changing the fluid/filter in the tranny, given that it is working well as is? Like I said, don't want to waste money, but I take care of my vehicles, and want to have the tranny last as long as it can realistically.
It wouldnt hurt to drop the pan change the filter and add some fluid. With a pan drop it should only require about 5quarts, 6 max. Stay away from flushing though.
  #28  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
dodge15004x45.9's Avatar
dodge15004x45.9
dodge15004x45.9 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malvern Pa - Canadensis Pa
Posts: 7,950
Default Snow plowing

Any upgrades I can do to help my tranny out snow plowing this coming winter?
I plan on adding another oil cooler for the tranny and filiter while I'm at it.
  #29  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
mnewbolds's Avatar
mnewbolds
mnewbolds is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 461
Default

Great Thread! I have a 95 1500 4x4 w/ 5.2 auto trans. I dropped the pan after about 20k (last time i did it) and there were a few metal shavings. Last week I pulled a camper that weighed about 7000lbs for about 7miles. I turned the O/D off and kept it below 40mph. Since then It has been slamming into and out of O/D at high speeds, but only after driving it for a while. I was wondering how easy it is to install an aftermarket temp gauge. My truck did not come with one and It would give me that "piece of mind" going down the road. I was also told that if you run an aux cooler you have to use both the internal and aux coolers to help it. Thanks in advance for the response. NICE FORD!
  #30  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
MonteC's Avatar
MonteC
MonteC is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9 View Post
Any upgrades I can do to help my tranny out snow plowing this coming winter?
I plan on adding another oil cooler for the tranny and filiter while I'm at it.

add a gauge as well.
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tspeed109
2nd Gen Dakota
4
10-23-2016 01:30 PM
danacat
Dodge Caravan
5
08-01-2015 04:42 PM
wilfrids
Dodge Caravan
4
07-26-2015 09:35 PM
Gtrjunior
Dodge Journey
4
07-15-2015 07:15 AM
keastlick
1st Gen Dakota
0
07-15-2015 02:55 AM



Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.