2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:00 AM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I has pulling a heavy load and after aprox 2000 miles I got the TCC Communication failure code. Fluid was dark but not too burnt. I changed the fluid and filter, some sludge and 3-5 small metal shaving were on the magnant.
After 100 miles changed the the fluid again to get rid of more of the old fluid.
Ran pretty fair for a month (mostly hiway driving).
Then last night the radiator sprung a leak on the way home and the water temp got hot (212 but the Hot Trans light didn't come on. Got a tow home and replaced the radiator.
Shifting a little funny this moring. This evening (95F ambient temp) and stop and go traffic, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd. Fluid was dark and at the lower end of OK so I added a pint of ATF.
Drove ok for 10 miles or so then reverted back to the not changing gears.
I know I need some major work. Saturday I'm hopping to drop the pan and look for metaL and qaulity of fluid then drop the tranny and replace the torque converter which I think is sagging from earlier. I'm also hoping to replace the governor pressure solenoid and the valve body if I can get the parts.
I'm hoping this will get me back on the road because next week it pretty tight and my back up car is on blocks waiting for new axles.
Once I get the back up car on the road, I'm planning to jump into the trans deeper and do a solid rebuild.
Am I approaching this right? Anything else short-term I need to keep in mind or replace?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jswain
I have an easy question, but I'd like an expert opinion on it. I have a 1998 dodge ram, 46re trans. It was rebuilt about 10k miles ago (truck has 142k now). Trans shifts fine, but seems to take a lot of effort/throttle to get it to kick down out of overdrive. I adjusted tv cable to factory setting (cable end centered on stud on throttle lever). This helped some. I've heard you can adjust slightly to get later shifts. I think you slide the cable sheath towards the cab, err maybe its the other way, not sure. will have to look into that further. My main concern and question is, will a slight adjustment for firmer shifts/higher line pressure be bad for or cause premature wear on the transmission? It would seem that the increased line pressure might actually be good for clutches, bands, etc in the trans. Thanks.
Actually what you need to do is get a sonnax sure cure. 46re's are notorious for numb kickdown and throttle response. The sure cure fixes this problem.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I has pulling a heavy load and after aprox 2000 miles I got the TCC Communication failure code. Fluid was dark but not too burnt. I changed the fluid and filter, some sludge and 3-5 small metal shaving were on the magnant.
After 100 miles changed the the fluid again to get rid of more of the old fluid.
Ran pretty fair for a month (mostly hiway driving).
Then last night the radiator sprung a leak on the way home and the water temp got hot (212 but the Hot Trans light didn't come on. Got a tow home and replaced the radiator.
Shifting a little funny this moring. This evening (95F ambient temp) and stop and go traffic, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd. Fluid was dark and at the lower end of OK so I added a pint of ATF.
Drove ok for 10 miles or so then reverted back to the not changing gears.
I know I need some major work. Saturday I'm hopping to drop the pan and look for metaL and qaulity of fluid then drop the tranny and replace the torque converter which I think is sagging from earlier. I'm also hoping to replace the governor pressure solenoid and the valve body if I can get the parts.
I'm hoping this will get me back on the road because next week it pretty tight and my back up car is on blocks waiting for new axles.
Once I get the back up car on the road, I'm planning to jump into the trans deeper and do a solid rebuild.
Am I approaching this right? Anything else short-term I need to keep in mind or replace?
Why would you put a new torque converter in a failing transmission?

Just pull the solenoids down and clean them, hopefully that can get you by until you rebuild it. From what it sounds like, you need a rebuild.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonteC
Actually what you need to do is get a sonnax sure cure. 46re's are notorious for numb kickdown and throttle response. The sure cure fixes this problem.
Thanks for the info. Will look into that for sure. I guess what I was planning is not advised at all, won't do crap? Is the sure cure kit difficult to put in for someone who has done no more to a trans than fluid/filter? Lastly, guy who rebuilt trans put a mild b and m shift kit in it. That'll be ok with the sure cure kit, right? Thanks for your time.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM
mpatrick19

Would a broken spring in the 3-4 accumulator cause a no o/d situation?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM
jamesnb
Professional

Originally Posted by MonteC
Why would you put a new torque converter in a failing transmission?

Just pull the solenoids down and clean them, hopefully that can get you by until you rebuild it. From what it sounds like, you need a rebuild.
Thanks.
I dropped the pan and the fluid was a little burnt. No metal shavings on the magnet. It did have some black sludge.
I cleaned the governor solenoid and the overdrive solenoid with brake cleaner and bolted them back up. The governor solenoid screen had a lot of black sludge in it but it looks clean now.
I didn't refill it with ATF. I want to install a drain plug in the pan first.
A few more questions:
What is the black sludge? What does it indicate?
When you say rebuild, how extensive are you talking? New clutch packs? Just new solenoids, seals, and Sure Cure valves? Or is that something I'll only know once I go through it?
Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jswain
Thanks for the info. Will look into that for sure. I guess what I was planning is not advised at all, won't do crap? Is the sure cure kit difficult to put in for someone who has done no more to a trans than fluid/filter? Lastly, guy who rebuilt trans put a mild b and m shift kit in it. That'll be ok with the sure cure kit, right? Thanks for your time.
Not really.
There is not much to a b&m shift kit, personally i dont care for them. Just read over the directions and you should be ok.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jamesnb
Thanks. What do I use to clean the solenoids? Diesel Fuel? Brake parts cleaner? New transmission fluid?
I dropped the pan and the fluid was a little burnt. No metal shavings on the magnet. It did have the some black sludge. What is the black sludge? What does it indicate?
Clean them with either brake cleaner or mineral spirits. The sludge is burning clutch material.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
mpatrick19

Originally Posted by mpatrick19
Would a broken spring in the 3-4 accumulator cause a no o/d situation?
bump?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mpatrick19
bump?
no it will not.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)