2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnewbolds
Great Thread! I have a 95 1500 4x4 w/ 5.2 auto trans. I dropped the pan after about 20k (last time i did it) and there were a few metal shavings. Last week I pulled a camper that weighed about 7000lbs for about 7miles. I turned the O/D off and kept it below 40mph. Since then It has been slamming into and out of O/D at high speeds, but only after driving it for a while. I was wondering how easy it is to install an aftermarket temp gauge. My truck did not come with one and It would give me that "piece of mind" going down the road. I was also told that if you run an aux cooler you have to use both the internal and aux coolers to help it. Thanks in advance for the response. NICE FORD!
Thank you!

Temp gauges are very easy to install. I really like the isspro gauges, very high quality and look remarkable. Ive searched diesel manor for gauges for my f350, they should have everything you need to get a temp gauge set up for your transmission.

Like i said before.. somewhere.. it will depend on your climate as to what coolers you can run. If you live in a cooler climate then you need to run the radiator cooler as well as an aux cooler. In the winter time that rad cooler acts as a "warmer". If its 0 degrees out side and your running down the interstate at 70 that trans is going to cool way down with only an aux cooler, too cold can be bad for the trans as well, the fluid viscosity increases. But if you have the rad cooler in the circuit the engine coolant will keep the fluid from getting too cold. For us southerners, we can bypass the rad cooler all together, i really dont like rad coolers but for some they are a necessary evil.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where is the best place to place the thing that takes the temp? I got an aftermarket pan and it has a sensor in the pan. Could use that one but I want to know where the fluid is the hottest.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 AM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
It wouldnt hurt to drop the pan change the filter and add some fluid. With a pan drop it should only require about 5quarts, 6 max. Stay away from flushing though.
Yeah, I had a few people tell me not to bother with it because it might start new issues in itself.

If it were yours, would you leave it as is or drop the pan and put in a few quarts and a filter? I just wantever would be best to keep it running smooth for the longest.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Where is the best place to place the thing that takes the temp? I got an aftermarket pan and it has a sensor in the pan. Could use that one but I want to know where the fluid is the hottest.
Cooler feed line. Should be the front line. Check out diesel manor they have a fitting that goes in-line with a temp sensor.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rideordie
Yeah, I had a few people tell me not to bother with it because it might start new issues in itself.

If it were yours, would you leave it as is or drop the pan and put in a few quarts and a filter? I just wantever would be best to keep it running smooth for the longest.
If it were mine, id drop the pan and change the fluid and fitler, plus that would give me a good idea of whats going on inside.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran

I found a sunpro at advance auto that says it's for oil/water. Would this one work? It has a few fittings in the package but I'm not sure where to tie them in. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
crankbait

Can someone tell me how the rear linkage for the band goes back together Thats the only thing holding me up on my rebuild it just fell apart when I took it apart and didn't get a chance to see, and the book I was sent doesn't have anything about this linkage other than adjustment.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
ghost4321
Professional

Originally Posted by MonteC
Thank you!

Temp gauges are very easy to install. I really like the isspro gauges, very high quality and look remarkable. Ive searched diesel manor for gauges for my f350, they should have everything you need to get a temp gauge set up for your transmission.

Like i said before.. somewhere.. it will depend on your climate as to what coolers you can run. If you live in a cooler climate then you need to run the radiator cooler as well as an aux cooler. In the winter time that rad cooler acts as a "warmer". If its 0 degrees out side and your running down the interstate at 70 that trans is going to cool way down with only an aux cooler, too cold can be bad for the trans as well, the fluid viscosity increases. But if you have the rad cooler in the circuit the engine coolant will keep the fluid from getting too cold. For us southerners, we can bypass the rad cooler all together, i really dont like rad coolers but for some they are a necessary evil.
When I bought my truck used it came with what appears to be a factory installed aux cooler and the radiator cooler is disconnected. When I hook it back up do I plumb it before or after the aux cooler? Which line from the trans is the feed line, the one with the anti drain back value (which I plan to remove)? Does it matter which fitting on the radiator cooler I hook the feed line to? Do I do anything to clean the radiator cooler before I hook it up? Thanks

Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ghost4321
When I bought my truck used it came with what appears to be a factory installed aux cooler and the radiator cooler is disconnected. When I hook it back up do I plumb it before or after the aux cooler? Which line from the trans is the feed line, the one with the anti drain back value (which I plan to remove)? Does it matter which fitting on the radiator cooler I hook the feed line to? Do I do anything to clean the radiator cooler before I hook it up? Thanks
I would not hook it backup to the radiator without flushing that cooler in the radiator real good.
The preveius owner may have had the tranny go bad and bypassed that cooler without flushing it.
Dave

Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

These are the fittings and sending unit that came with the gauge, is there a spot on the trans that these will thread into? I cannot seem to find one.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)