2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by always_something
MonteC, I asked a question a couple pages back about my tranny holding in first longer before shifting into sec. Well I had to drive my truck over to a buddys house to check all codes to see if I was missing anything else. I find the reason for the higher shift is it has no second. It goes from 1st -3rd, can't even manually put it in second. And it turns out buddys computer doesn't have the right number chip to read all the codes. Is this more serious than previously thought?
Sounds like the second gear band strut has fallen out, or the band is extremely out of adjustment.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tcoz370
Yeah that is correct
Wrong pcm or a bad pcm.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jKsled
Thanks for the continued help. Went through the whole thing again to the best of my ability. No leaks now with a new pump housing.

I haven't taken it in to use a scan tool yet to check out this "limp mode" problem, and now another problem developed. Originally, it would start in 3rd gear, and would manually shift into first and second. Wouldn't go into o/d. This was described to me as the limp mode. Now, however, it will only go into 1st gear.

It did this all of a sudden, I was driving in 3rd, when all of a sudden it started revving reallly high as it switched to 1st.

Funny thing is, when I have the selector in 1st, you can tell it's actually in gear. When it's in 2nd or Drive, it will only go in 1st gear, but it kind of coasts when you let off the gas, and has no engine braking.
I know it's hard to diagnose these problems online, but in your opinion, do you think this would be related to the electric "limp mode" issue still, or does it sound like something took a dump in the valvebody?

I'm looking through the valvebody as i'm typing this, and as far as I can see all the internals look normal?...?
No, i think you have other problems. Limp mode would not revert to 1st gear.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MonteC
Yep from what you describe its going into lockup. To change that sensor you have to change the o/d and lockup solenoids, along with the entire wiring harness inside the transmission.
How hard would that be will I have to drop the valve body or anything like that?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
jschatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MonteC,

I have an 2001 1500 with the 3.9L. Iwas thinking about deleting the check valve and adding an external filter. Also I would like to add temp gauges. Do you have a brand/style that you recommend and where would you insert them in the system?

Thanks,

Ray

Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
always_something

Originally Posted by MonteC
Sounds like the second gear band strut has fallen out, or the band is extremely out of adjustment.
I know I can adjust it in the truck, but if it fell out do I have to drop tranny?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
forever_dodge

New member here... I have a recently rebuilt 46retranny, and just did the recomended fluid/filter change at 500 miles or so. I noticed there was a LOT of debris from the clutches in the filter. It seems to me that it is from either the direct clutch or the overdrive clutch.

I know this because the front and rear clutch packs were red, while the other two clutch packs were green. Is it normal to have that much debris? the filter was basically covered with green fuzzy stuff, and the magnet had a fair amount of metal dust on it. Any idea what the problem could be?

edit: after looking around on the internet, could this be due to having too high of pressure in the governer test port? why would this be?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
bsorbe
Default A rattling noise in recent rebuilt tranny

I just purchased a 2001 1500 sport off road. I have a receipt from the guy I bought it from stating that the tranny was rebuilt about 3000 miles ago by an Aamco near him in Co. now I have the truck in MN and it's got a noise.

When I have the truck running in park, there is a subtle rattling noise that is coming out of either the flexplate/TC area or the tranny pan itself. If i put it in gear, it disappears and if I rev the motor the noise doesn't get any worse. shifting is fine, OD works good, but this noise concerns me. I can even feel it in the shifter ever so slightly. The noise is not very noticeable on the outside of the truck unless you lean down and really listen for it. to be honest, it's more noticeable in the cab (maybe just b/c its quieter in there without exhaust and engine running IDK)

the noise isn't real loud, almost like a cup holder or ash tray that rattles on rough roads you know? definitely coming out of the middle of the truck under it, not the engine compartment.

Any ideas for me to check? can't take it to the shop that did the rebuild, unless all Aamco's cover warranties from other aamco shops. any thoughts on this?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 PM
customzj91

MonteC-

I recently rebuilt my transmission in my 5.9L jeep and put a transgo stage 2 shift kit in while i rebuilt it. i replaced all the clutches, steels, seals with a master kit and rebuilt torque converter. i made sure i followed the shift kit instructions to the "T" and only chose only a select few things from the kit to put in because its not intended for racing. Now after a few miles have been put on it (around 3k) it seems while im cruising down the road and i press on the gas a little bit, it will downshift into 2nd gear at any speed. I have rebuilt a few transmissions and this is the first time this has happened. any ideas of what it could possibly be? your help would be greatly appreciated. if you need any other information just let me know so i can gather it tonight as that i am at work right now.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
yeahboy33

Hey first time posting....anyway I just recently just purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L engine.Not sure of the tranny model though. When i first bought the truck everything ran smoothly...but now when i start the truck when its cold i hear a strange sound coming from the transmission when the engine first fires. Also the trans is very hesitant to upshift from 2nd to 3rd. But will with some persuasion(Manually shifting the gears) All these problems i started noticing today. The the whole system was flushed and new filter and fluid were put in, before i bought the truck. The truck only has 6000 miles on it since the tranny flush. I checked the fluid and its still bright red with no burned smell. My question is could this be just a band problem....and maybe they just need adjusted? I dont have the extra money for a rebuilt... Any insight into this would be very helpful.

Regards,
yeahboy33

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)