DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   How do I tell what trans I have? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/240852-how-do-i-tell-what-trans-i-have.html)

MonteC 04-08-2010 08:32 PM

Depending on your climate you can bypass the rad like J415 said. If you live in a cold climate then you are going to want a radiator cooler. You can buy the parts you need to rebuild your transmission.

WWW.wittrans.com

mean318 04-08-2010 10:25 PM

and chance not getting all this aluminum out of it. and i havnt takin the over drive out to see whats in there yet. if u thought i could be safe just cleanin it up? I will. i just dont wanna spend a bunch of money to drive it for two months and i missed some of this and rip it up again. and acording to that site the planet is for an a727,a518, a618 if thats the case the planets i have piled in my garage in 727"s will work?? and im from mansfield pa. its on an avg maybe 30 in the winter and maybe 70 in the summer. I could also rig a fan to it, it couldnt hurt it to run to cool could it? like say if the fan runs all the time. Im with a clean up and rebuild but i had a couple guys tell me a little dirt in automatic tranny is bad news so a little chunk of alluminum cant be good what might the thoughts be on the torque converter they cant be cheep either... and a local trany guy told me about a valve he can stick in the valve body that would help the curculation. my only thoughts on this junk yard tranny is that he is willing to warranty it for 3 months but im wanting to take it apart (which voids the warranty but if i take it apart and find somthing serious wrong i put it back together and in a couple days take it back and tell him its no good) but if its all pretty in there maybe put in new clutch plates and steals have this valve put in the valve body which was 150 he quoted me today, and thats if i just take the truck to him (he takes the pan off puts it in and new gasket and filter) so it should be cheaper if i take the valve body to him then maybe by a trans cooler i have a couple diff. electric fans if we decide im goin that route and im drivin it again and i spend 750. oooooooor if i can make 727 parts work i buy new clutches a new converter try to get the whole mess cleaned out. and this route could very well cost close to the same but im stuck on the chance i dont get all shavings out and i have to do it again$$$$$$$$$$?

J415 04-09-2010 12:20 AM

If your doing a complete rebuild, why would there be any reason that there'd be metal shavings in the tranny. The main idea in doing a rebuild is to take the tranny apart COMPLETELY, take inventory as to whats needed and clean it ALL out.

If I'm not mistaken, the 727 is an older version of the a518, which is an older version of the 46RH. Then it graduated to the RE.

As far as putting more tranny coolers then you usually would and putting the fan so it can run all the time, well, oddly enough, MonteC just finished answering that same question in his sticky. He said that if you live somewhere like South Carolina or California where the winters aren't harsh, then it's okay to bypass the rad since it never really gets THAT cold. HOWEVER, since you just stated that you live in PA where I'm sure it snows and winters surely suck, then you'd need the tranny lines to go threw your rad and you wouldn't wanna overdo it. The reason being is because in the winter, the warmth from the rad tranny cooler helps the tranny fluid warm up to temp faster so that it doesn't become to viscous. Long story short, in some cases, too many coolers can be a bad thing. I hope that explains everything. I'm sure MonteC is answering all kinds of tranny questions and he'd get around to answering your question. I just figured I'd help out where I could and he can edit it if I misspoke. Good luck.

MonteC 04-09-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by mean318 (Post 2083612)
and chance not getting all this aluminum out of it. and i havnt takin the over drive out to see whats in there yet. if u thought i could be safe just cleanin it up? I will. i just dont wanna spend a bunch of money to drive it for two months and i missed some of this and rip it up again. and acording to that site the planet is for an a727,a518, a618 if thats the case the planets i have piled in my garage in 727"s will work?? and im from mansfield pa. its on an avg maybe 30 in the winter and maybe 70 in the summer. I could also rig a fan to it, it couldnt hurt it to run to cool could it? like say if the fan runs all the time. Im with a clean up and rebuild but i had a couple guys tell me a little dirt in automatic tranny is bad news so a little chunk of alluminum cant be good what might the thoughts be on the torque converter they cant be cheep either... and a local trany guy told me about a valve he can stick in the valve body that would help the curculation. my only thoughts on this junk yard tranny is that he is willing to warranty it for 3 months but im wanting to take it apart (which voids the warranty but if i take it apart and find somthing serious wrong i put it back together and in a couple days take it back and tell him its no good) but if its all pretty in there maybe put in new clutch plates and steals have this valve put in the valve body which was 150 he quoted me today, and thats if i just take the truck to him (he takes the pan off puts it in and new gasket and filter) so it should be cheaper if i take the valve body to him then maybe by a trans cooler i have a couple diff. electric fans if we decide im goin that route and im drivin it again and i spend 750. oooooooor if i can make 727 parts work i buy new clutches a new converter try to get the whole mess cleaned out. and this route could very well cost close to the same but im stuck on the chance i dont get all shavings out and i have to do it again$$$$$$$$$$?

It all depends on how well you clean the transmission. When i get one in that has major hard part damage i dont go down and get a whole new core to build. When i rebuild everything is striped down and cleaned, every peice. I take all of the valves out of the valve body and clean it. Then i replace the bad hard parts.

Yes most of the 727 parts will work, just make sure you match them up carefully.

J posted up some good info for you.