2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new keyless thought

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Whaack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 beeps but doesn't flash any of the lights. I have an aftermarket remote start which i LOVE.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by notanexit7
Where can you have them installed? I'd do it but I'm no electrician and I want a professional job done.

i believe most audio places sell/ install them

Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The viper is nice and all but you can get an Excalibur alarm online on ebay for about 100 bucks shipped and it has basically the same features and yes the remote start is great but it will get more use this summer than the winter ever saw.

I installed it with the help of my neighbor or should I say my neighbor installed it with my help...if you can wire up speakers you can wire in an alarm just pay close attention to the instructions and make sure you get a wiring diagram that tells you what color each wire is took us 2 hours max the first time, then had to go back and add one more wire that took maybe 10 minutes(Our fault though only hooked up one ignition wire needed the second one to turn on A/C)

Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by notanexit7
Where can you have them installed? I'd do it but I'm no electrician and I want a professional job done.
If you go into any Best Buy, they can install them for you. Mine here did it for my wife, and they did a really nice, professional job.

If you look at their prices for keyless entry/alarm systems in store, you'll notice they're higher than everyone else. Thats because they already include basic installation in the price tag for you.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
bigtman07
Captain

Originally Posted by jasonw
If you go into any Best Buy, they can install them for you. Mine here did it for my wife, and they did a really nice, professional job.

If you look at their prices for keyless entry/alarm systems in store, you'll notice they're higher than everyone else. Thats because they already include basic installation in the price tag for you.
I totally forgot about Best Buy. Thanks Jason. I'm gonna go check them out and see what they have.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
contractorben
Rookie

No, not true any model viper should fit your truck. I have the 5901, wiring is not easy I ended up having a guy put mine in. That was after I had tried and couldnt figure it out. But, really because I didnt have a good wire up from truck to alarm. I have the wire guide he used though, so if you are pretty good you could wire it up. I can get the guide for you, just let me know. Also, got mine off ebay. (Just make sure the seller is a 99.00% and above.) I had to send my first alarm back due to bad unit, but had good seller that sent me a new one fast.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM
contractorben
Rookie

Also, just to let you known paid 225 for alarm off ebay and about 180 for install. Much better than bestbuy, but if you dont know any one to install it (if you buy off ebay) bestbuy will. (Just double check, they would here just pricey.) This alarm has all kinds of settings you can program, too. Beeps, flash, run time on remote start, check temp inside cap from remote, turn heat on, you and set how senstive alarm will be, etc.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 AM
98formulaLS1
Professional

I'm a DEI Installer (Viper brands etc) and have previously owned a professional car stereo shop, until I took my electrical engineering career full time. Please feel free to PM me any questions about stereo, audio, or alarm related topics.

As for this discussion, if you we're savvy enough, you could isolate the single wire which comes from the factory alarm module, and wire them to two relays with diodes inline which will honk the horn and flash the lights. Doing it this way will prevent your lights from flashing when you honk and vice verse, as well as not having your lights and horn honk when you press lock and unlock.

I personally have an Avital 5303 (http://www.avital.com/Products/Produ...System&id=5000) installed on my 96 Ram. I've installed hundreds of these kinds of alarms w/ remote start, and it was particularly easy on this truck. The wires are easy to access and it won't break your back to get to them either.

For a beginner, I wouldn't recommend doing an installation of the alarm w/ remote start. Installing an alarm w/ keyless entry should be a breeze though.

If you want, please PM me any specific questions or concerns you may have about this.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Sweet thanks dude. Yea installing that kinda scares me. So thanks for the help I'm probly gonna hit ya up with some questions.

Quick Reply: new keyless thought