2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how do i identifiy a rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I'm pretty sure my 1500 came with a different rear axle than the 9.25. I'm not sure if it's because it's the "Off Road" edition or because it has the towing package
1500 off-road has the 9.25 with 4.10 gears and LSD.
its the holy grail of 2nd gen ram.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. It still has the paper sticker on it: 9.25, 4.10. There are two metal tabs on the diff bolts. One has 410 stamped on it; the other has 0690. I know the metal tab indicate limited slip and but any idea what the 0690 means?
Thanks by the way; all this time I thought I had the Dana rear end. I remember when I bought it they said something about it having a heavier rear end than the regular 4x4.

Last edited by jamesnb; 04-14-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

As an "Off Road" edition, you have a reinforced ("trussed" I think was the term) front Dana 44 compared to a regular Dana 44. A tad stronger differential housing, but the rest of the axle is the same. And yup, they're right, you still got the 9.25 rear. Biggest, and one of the nicest, difference is you are geared at 4.10 rather than the usual 3.55. Your tranny thanks you for that, usually, and your low end ("get up and go") is better.

That factory LSD is weak though. Have a small budget set aside to replace it when it goes, as it most likely will.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
jamesnb
Professional

Originally Posted by jasonw
As an "Off Road" edition, you have a reinforced ("trussed" I think was the term) front Dana 44 compared to a regular Dana 44. A tad stronger differential housing, but the rest of the axle is the same. And yup, they're right, you still got the 9.25 rear. Biggest, and one of the nicest, difference is you are geared at 4.10 rather than the usual 3.55. Your tranny thanks you for that, usually, and your low end ("get up and go") is better.

That factory LSD is weak though. Have a small budget set aside to replace it when it goes, as it most likely will.
I havn't had any tranny problems which seems rare. What are the signs of the limited slip going out? What kind of cost are we looking at?
The only problem I had with the differential was when a non-dealership shop changed the oil and left out the friction modifier. It howled a little going around corners. I took it back, chewed some *** and they drained it and re-filled it with fresh oil and the friction modifier. That was probablly 6-7 years ago. No problems since.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikegod87
i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 i blew the rear in it and trying to find out wat rear i have so i can try 2 find one at the junk yard

i dont know how to decode any of the #s on the rear the tag under the hood says the front ratio is 3.55 in a dana 44

any help will be apprecitaed

thanks
ben kauffman

Wow. Your thread title left the door for me to say, "It's located in the rear of the truck".

Nevermind

Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
bikegod87

thanks all very helpfull and greatly aprectiated

went to the yard to day and only found 1 corp9.25 and the gears where also trashed anyone now of any rears i could use around th philadelphia PA area for under 300

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I havn't had any tranny problems which seems rare. What are the signs of the limited slip going out? What kind of cost are we looking at?
The only problem I had with the differential was when a non-dealership shop changed the oil and left out the friction modifier. It howled a little going around corners. I took it back, chewed some *** and they drained it and re-filled it with fresh oil and the friction modifier. That was probablly 6-7 years ago. No problems since.
It appears that I have the original tranny as well, without any issues so far also. Signs of a limited slip "going out" are pretty obvious, in my experience... a clunking noise, or a howling noise, or other obvious things like that coming from the rear diff.

I am having an Auburn LSD put into my rear end when I get the gears changed... which should be someday soon.

The Auburn itself (not counting labor to install) costs about $435 shipped from Moe's Performance, which is the cheapest I found it so far.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I will now be tearing into mine also, had some different noises on the way home this morning and tore into it as the sun came up to find what I can only guess is a pinion shim that broke and ended up in the bottom of the diff. I have about a third of it in my hand now and the driveshaft now has some lateral movement in it at the diff. Anyone ever dealt with this before? I haven't seen a rear with a shim in it but I have only seen older GM's as far as a unit that is torn down. I guess I will be trying to figure out my gear ratio also if it has worn the gears but it appears that everything else is alright. I have a 9.25 but don't have the id tag on it for the ratio.

Edit:
Ok, got it pulled apart a little farther, I have the 9.25" 3.55 ratio LSD. I know all rear ends have shims in them, didn't word that correctly when I posted at first... There is what appears to be a very large shim, more like a large washer that has broken and ended up in the bottom of the diff. I am trying to figure out what this is, and if the rear is shimmed, why would I have so much free play in the pinion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kissmymagnum; 04-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 AM
bikegod87

i put the new rear in my truck and now it feels like im trying to push a bigger truck down the road any ideas on wat could cause this

Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kissmymagnum
There is what appears to be a very large shim, more like a large washer that has broken and ended up in the bottom of the diff. I am trying to figure out what this is, and if the rear is shimmed, why would I have so much free play in the pinion?
this doesn't explain the free play in the pinion, but a very common problem with the dodge LSD is broken retainer clips from the clutch packs. its very common, and if it falls to the bottom, no major damage is done and the rear end continues to work, although the LSD may or may not work right. on the other hand if the clip falls into the gear or bearing, it can do major damage. i don't know, but you might have damage to your pinion bearing or shims. do a search on retainer clips for more info.

Quick Reply: how do i identifiy a rear axle