2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:22 AM
notanexit7
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
250K on the original tranny? ive never heard of them making it that far....like RM said is that KM?
Mine has 240k. Actually I know plenty of people with well over that mileage on their tranny's. If you do like your supposed to and change the fluid every 25k or 2 years it will last a long time. But I have been the only owner so I guess I'm lucky in that regards.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Nortzy
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
250K on the original tranny? ive never heard of them making it that far....like RM said is that KM?
Mines 250k KM's original, only replaced the front bands started acting up about 10kms ago, i bought it with the tranny slipping, the guy had no idea what it was, basically gave it to me, a 125$ fix, and i'm the 3rd owner. the rearend has been rebuilt, nearly completely. even though it's not a posi.. (or limited slip) which id rather have but oh well.

I also decided i am not doing the P-1sc kit, the price tag on just the kit nearly killed me, let alone the rest of upgrades. i think ill start out slow with TB upgrades, air intake/manifolds, maybe new heads, and i know plenty of dodges haulin all the time on stock 46RE's... some are good, some aren't i guess.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

250KM is 155 miles.

If you boost that, your engine would be crap unless you are boring it .03 over and honing the cylinders. Not to mention replacing the piston rings.

You would get so much blow by that you would blow your main and timing chain cover gaskets and spray oil everywhere.

You would not have to worry about blowing your tranny. Your truck would not be driveable.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nortzy
Mines 250k KM's original, only replaced the front bands started acting up about 10kms ago, i bought it with the tranny slipping, the guy had no idea what it was, basically gave it to me, a 125$ fix, and i'm the 3rd owner. the rearend has been rebuilt, nearly completely. even though it's not a posi.. (or limited slip) which id rather have but oh well.

I also decided i am not doing the P-1sc kit, the price tag on just the kit nearly killed me, let alone the rest of upgrades. i think ill start out slow with TB upgrades, air intake/manifolds, maybe new heads, and i know plenty of dodges haulin all the time on stock 46RE's... some are good, some aren't i guess.
if you go heads that have a higher compression, you will blow a main with that mileage. Assume that it has run hot at least twice with 3 owners.

I put a 280 duration camshaft and 62CC heads on my 1986 camaro with a crate engine and it blew every seal in the engine in one day. it ran hot once before that.

Unless you are completely rebuilding the engine (piston rings, .030 overbore, timing chain) then you will break your truck.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Nortzy
Rookie

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
if you go heads that have a higher compression, you will blow a main with that mileage. Assume that it has run hot at least twice with 3 owners.

I put a 280 duration camshaft and 62CC heads on my 1986 camaro with a crate engine and it blew every seal in the engine in one day. it ran hot once before that.

Unless you are completely rebuilding the engine (piston rings, .030 overbore, timing chain) then you will break your truck.
I understand what you're saying, thanks for the heads up, but i have to say, it's been well maintained, oil change every 10k, and the factory 5.2l magnum heads are, correct me if i'm wrong, 60cc chambers, which is plenty if you ask me, if i were to buy heads, they would most likely be another set of 60cc, of not probly only 62cc, now with that mentioned, that wouldn't harm the piston rings, etc. would it? and i would put new cam's etc. but i'm in highschool, i don't need a complete engine overhaul. especially when it's hard to afford as it is.

Quick Reply: Performance transmission?