2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade for rubber differential plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Old Dodge 1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool http://www.mag-hytec.com/

This was the unit I used for my truck. They are kind of expensive. But it was worth it to me to have a drain plug and a fill plug on it.

http://www.mag-hytec.com/

Last edited by Old Dodge 1; 04-22-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

Thanks for the link Old Dodge, but your right...they're a bit pricey.

Guess I'll take dhvaughan's suggestion and just get another rubber plug..at least for now.
But the corporate village idiot that thought those were a good idea should be selling golf carts, not trucks.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
kissmymagnum
Professional

Just a thought on the subject, there are chrome covers on ebay that have a fill bolt in them rather than the rubber plug and are available between $20 and $25 for a simple fix. I bought a weld in fill and drain plug kit that will have to be welded in to the factory cover. I will try to get pics when I get it finished before I get it put back together. The drain plug is magnetic, so that is a plus where there is not a magnet to catch metal in the oil. It is supposed to be raining for the next few days so I will have to finish tearing the rear end apart so I can replace my pinion bearings, then I will work on welding the plugs into the cover.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJ
I know that when I do my diffs, I take the cover off to drain them, the fill with the fill plug on top. The only down side to this is that you really cant drive for the next 12-24 hours after if you use RTV to make a seal.
You don't need to let it sit for more than 10 minutes. You can do it and drive right off and have no problems.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i got a rubber plug from the dealer today. it was $3.95 and i actually had trouble getting it in. They do make a great seal when brand new...best way to go IMO

Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm, I'll have to pick up a new plug too next time I'm goin by the stealership then

Old 04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

had a bunch in stock too, so you can probably get it on the spot.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by vmann
You don't need to let it sit for more than 10 minutes. You can do it and drive right off and have no problems.
That may be so, but I don't have the money to rebuild a rear end if for some reason it leaks. I figger one day of little to no driving every couple months is fine by me. I can usually get a ride some where if I need it, plus I usually get done with every thing I do that day to my truck early evening so one night is no big deal o me.

I also know to pay attention to cure times on sealants and adhesives, they are there for a reason.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

Cure time is dependent on what your using. Some of the older gasket makers required the cure time JackJ speaks of. But the newer ones, like "The Right Stuff" and "Ultra Grey" don't....though it couldn't hurt anything to let it cure overnight.
I have some experience with "The Right Stuff" for sealing oil pans and it's pretty impressive "stuff". Like paint work, prep is everything. I'll probably be using the ULTRA GREY (w/no gasket) when I do my differential.

---->http://www.permatex.com/documents/11...edKnuckles.pdf

Last edited by Signal 2; 04-23-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by Signal 2
Cure time is dependent on what your using. Some of the older gasket makers required the cure time JackJ speaks of. But the newer ones, like "The Right Stuff" and "Ultra Grey" don't....though it couldn't hurt anything to let it cure overnight.
I have some experience with "The Right Stuff" for sealing oil pans and it's pretty impressive "stuff". Like paint work, prep is everything. I'll probably be using the ULTRA GREY (w/no gasket) when I do my differential.

---->http://www.permatex.com/documents/11...edKnuckles.pdf

I use RTV in the black tube, for my diffs, and the blue tube for all other stuff like tranny pans. I am not sure of the exact cure times, but I am pretty sure the blue tube has a longer one than the black one.

It is all about prefferance of the user, and how much they are willing to spend.

Quick Reply: Upgrade for rubber differential plug?