2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade for rubber differential plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a great article. good to know the specifics on each type

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

Here is a of pic from my work that I am finishing up along with the rear diff... I wanted to be rid of the rubber plug altogether, and also wanted a way to catch the metal shavings that usually end up in the oil. The drain plug has a magnetic tip like an oil drain plug on an engine, and the fill plug is just a regular pipe plug. I figure it makes it easier to check the oil level if nothing else. I was considering not using the drain plug but it does have the plus of the magnet so I did it anyway. Let me know what you think...

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade for rubber differential plug?-100_0320.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

looks great. got any extras for sale? haha

Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about the RTV cure. If you are using a gasket, then you don't need to wait for the cure. I use the gasket. Less chance of a glob breaking off and getting chewed in the diff.

Plus the gaskets are cheap enough for an easy install. Also makes taking the diff OFF AGAIN a lot easier. Needed a prybar to get the cover off the last time.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

No spares... That is my stock diff cover, just cleaned the spots that had to be welded and drilled them out. I was thinking about not using the drain plug but I like the magnet so it is in there anyway. There is a guy selling the kit on ebay that has the pieces you need but I am sure that it could all be found locally if you have patience. I am still partial to the idea of just having the plug for the fill side so that it would be like a GM, and the only things you would need for that is a pipe plug and the nut that it threads into, preferably matching pipe thread so you get a decent seal on it as it tightens up. My truck does a good amount of work so I am always keeping the oil and fluids clean in it, and I figured this was a good solution to having to pull the cover every time (granted I still will periodically so I can see what is going on inside of it)

Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Signal 2
Amateur

Nice work, looks great and (IMO) what Dodge should have done in the first place.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that guy on ebay would you?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
truegent81
Captain

so i stopped by the mall of georgia dodge dealership today to pick up this rubber plug. 4.95 for this thing! man, it sucks because i know the owner of this dealership. his daughter was one of my wife's bridesmaids in our wedding. hopefully he can hook me up and i can get some work done at a good price . he's out of town cuz he took his wife to see Oprah lol.

i have a 9.25 rear axle. i plan on refilling and doing the gasket tomorrow morning since i got the plug. what brand should i use for this job? i plan on using the good stuff as my gasket maker but how do i know when i've filled up the rear diff? and can someone point to the thread on here about what to do add if i have a limited slip. i gotta figure out if i have one. thanks in advance

this is the first time i've done this on this truck and with a truck that has 4wd. i use to do it on my ranger 2wd, but don't wanna screw up this nice truck

Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

As mentioned above, I've had good experience with "The Right Stuff" for making a gasket. That's what I intend to use w/o an OEM gasket.
You typically fill the differential until it begins to run out the fill plug. I haven't checked the FSM yet to see how much that might take.
If your not sure about limited slip, just look for clutch packs once the cover is off. If you see them, you have limited slip. If that's the case you'll need gear oil with special additives for those packs. I haven't searched here yet to see what particular brand is popular. A good parts store should have reference too.

Last edited by Signal 2; 04-29-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:15 PM
truegent81
Captain

yeah i read an article about the different gasket materials. right stuff is what i meant earlier. what are clutch packs? would a manual state whether i have them or not? thanks

i found this image on google. anyone point out what I am looking for?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...TTadjusted.jpg

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
truegent81
Captain

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/9_25specs.html

does this tell me if i have limited slip axle

Quick Reply: Upgrade for rubber differential plug?