2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 ram 1500 tranny filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
konen55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 ram 1500 tranny filter?

i have a 94 ram 1500 and somthing happend and now it wont drive in 1,2,3 or D but i got rev. heard tranny filter and bands what would u recommend??? going to try and replace tranny filter first dont wanna out the money for a shop any suggestions???

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

While the pan is off, adjust the bands. If you don't have one, grab a Haynes manual from a parts store. It has all the procedures and the torque settings and everything. Make sure you have a very accurate inch/lb torque wrench.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely not a good sign, drop the pan and check things out. Smell the fluid. Look for debris or sludge.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
konen55

the guy i bought it from said the tranny was recently replaced and i talked to a couple of buddies they said tranny filter and bands also it has been leaking quite a bit of ATF but everytime we checked it it has been over full do u think that may have anything to do with it??

Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM
konen55

and also does anyone think that the tranny needs replaced?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm no expert (but monte is), but there's little the average shade tree can do with a transmission beyond replacing filter and fluid, maybe adjusting the bands, and looking for shrapnel in the bottom of the pan. you should probably go through with this, although be aware with our expensive transmission fluid, it'll cost about $50 just to change the fluid and filter. but - who knows, you might find a serious overfill, or underfill, or stopped up filter or loose part that can be easily remedied. odds are not good, but you might.

be aware that you should check the fluid with engine running, and truck in neutral, NOT park, and with the silly angle of the dip stick, measure to its lowest solid wet spot.

while checking fluid, look closely at the color and smell. if the transmission was really and truly rebuilt recently, then the fluid will be a nice pink color, and will smell like oil, but not like burnt toast. if your fluid is black, or dark gray and/or smells like burnt toast, then you unlikely have a newly rebuilt trans, and either have an original worn out trans, or a worn out junk yard replacement (which is still technically a replacement).

if your fluid is nasty and shot, your transmission is likely shot too.
since yours is not pulling, you can't even drive it to the shop for a free diagnosis/estimate. that sucks even more.

Quick Reply: 1994 ram 1500 tranny filter?