2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulley Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley Squeal

Hey guys,

I put belt conditioner on my belt and immediately I got a squeal, and I thought it was coming from my idler pulley. I took the pulley off and wiped it down and put a little oil on it and put it back on and still have the squeal. Any ideas what I might be missing, or a common area for the conditioner to get into and squeal? I have driven over 100 miles with it and it wont go away, even at highway speeds.

Isnt conditioner supposed to prevent squealing?! Lol

I just got dual exhaust and it sounds like **** with a squeal.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a squeak just the other day, it developed while out muddin in the rain. Nothin I did got rid of it except for some silicone spray lube.... dunno how long it'll last but so far so good... I'm kinda glad I didn't use the belt dressing now lol

some ideas for ya in the thread I made: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-belt-fix.html

Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take the belt off and inspect each pulley. rotate it by hand slowly and spin it hard. it should be nice and smooth and quiet. see if any has a dry sound, especially the idler and the tensioner and the water pump. hope its not your water pump.

check the belt and the front of the engine for any coolant leak wetness. leaking antifreeze with saturate the belt and make it squeak.

how old is the belt. if its old and dry and cracked, just replace it.

my experience is that belt dressing doesn't ever do any good.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
lblair04
Veteran

I will check it out some more tomorrow. I will try some sand paper on the flat side cause its kind of shiny/waxy looking. Water pump is new...no leaks.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lblair04
I will try some sand paper on the flat side cause its kind of shiny/waxy looking
interesting, i've never tried that. let us know how it works out. heck - try it on any side thats shiny looking.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
interesting, i've never tried that. let us know how it works out. heck - try it on any side thats shiny looking.
Laramie mentioned that little trick in my belt thread, said it works great for him I'm gonna try that next if my squeak comes back

Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 AM
lblair04
Veteran

I tried the sandpaper and bar of soap. Sandpaper didnt work for me, so I used the soap and it was helping a bit. I noticed while the soap was on it though, that there was a high spot in the belt. I ended up buying a new belt and problem is solved. The bump is where there is a little staple looking thing on the rib side. Oh well, now I have an emergency belt!

Thanks guys

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I kept my old belt too, under my back seat, just in case I ever need it.... might come in handy sometime

Quick Reply: Pulley Squeal