2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at it though if I dump $5000 into my truck I will probably not be able to sell it for much if any more than that down the road. So I'm just not sure I want to do that. I figured it up for the last two and a half years and if I was making payments on a brand new truck they would add up to the same as what I've put into this Ram in the last two years or very close to each other. The Ram is now starting to need the transmission again so who knows what else will come next. Now that means the Ram isn't costing me more than a new truck would to drive but it's costing me just as much and I'm riding around in a 2001 model with scratches down the side, just a old truck, etc. So financially I don't think I'd be any worse off to just buy a new truck and honestly, I think I'd end up paying a little less. Plus I'd not worry about something breaking on it and it would save me the hassle of having to always work on the truck which I hate.
I know I will get slammed for this since it's a Dodge forum but I honestly don't even like Dodges that much. I just am attached to this particular truck. I wish it was something else then I might could justify fixing it. Ford is the only one of the big three that I halfway like and I still don't think too much of them. I think I'd be much better off with a Honda SUV or Toyota truck. I don't need a heavy duty truck and it seems like the American companies just can't make one worth a ****.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Im sorry to hear that man, I was going to do a 5 speed swap to mine awhile back but ive decided to wait till my tranny starts acting up. Then im going to swap in a NV3500 OR 4500. Then ill have to worry about nothing. Have you considered this? It would cost pretty much the same thing if you know what your doing. Just wanted to run that idea by ya. I dont think you'd ever have to worry about the tranny again..Even if you towed alot.

watch out for the 5th gear jam nut...it can come loose and fall into the gears....aka destroying the tranny.

and to OP did you have the TC replaced as well?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I had it replaced when I had the transmission replaced a little over 2 years ago. I didn't replace it yesterday as I just did the sensors. It's a $3600 APS Precision transmission and the torque converter was also from them. That's why it's so annoying it only lasted 35k miles.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to offend you at all, or even be rude, but I'm going to share my thoughts.

First off, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had luck with Dodges, but many of us have. I can understand if you don't like your truck, or the company, or whatever. But complaining about it, repeatedly, isn't going to change much.

If you think you're better off with a Ford, Toyota, Honda, whatever, then go for it. But I think you'll be suprised to find down the road that you either get a good one or a bad one - no matter what the brand. Granted, some of us, myself included, are pretty biased (for example I'd never buy a chevy truck), but that doesn't change much.

There is always a vehicle like yours, that has countless problems, whether it's the designer's fault (bad design) , or the driver's fault (driving habits, bad maintenance, cheap parts, etc.).

There's also always a vehicle on the other side of the story. One that goes 200k miles and never has a problem. A big part of it is simply how it is taken care of, but the individual vehicle itself also plays a part.

To sum it up, if your truck's giving you as many problems as it seems to be, then go ahead and sell it (or keep it? whatever you decide), and get whatever you think is the best option for you. And hopefully you have better luck with it.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Well said rideordie, well said.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

While I partially agree with that. I do agree with you can get a bad one from any company. I also disagree with part of it. I don't see that many who have had good luck with Dodges. I see guys on here post and say they love their Dodge and how great it is. I hear people in person say the same thing. Yet almost every time you ask them the majority of them have had the same exact problems I have yet they just fix them and seem to think that it's normal and that it's still a great truck. That's what I don't get. I don't get how so many guys can like Dodge and say they make good trucks when so many of the same people have had to fix the same problems. That's not a good truck.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I agree with rideordie. But I definitely don't think you will be getting anything better if you move onto a Jap vehicle. Stay with a American made car, we are getting it done right now.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
While I partially agree with that. I do agree with you can get a bad one from any company. I also disagree with part of it. I don't see that many who have had good luck with Dodges. I see guys on here post and say they love their Dodge and how great it is. I hear people in person say the same thing. Yet almost every time you ask them the majority of them have had the same exact problems I have yet they just fix them and seem to think that it's normal and that it's still a great truck. That's what I don't get. I don't get how so many guys can like Dodge and say they make good trucks when so many of the same people have had to fix the same problems. That's not a good truck.
Every brand has its known problems. Ask Ford owners if there are any 'common' problems. Try toyota. They all have a few of their own, just like Dodge.

I for one have had great luck with Dodges. So has my dad. And I don't say that as in "We have to fix the same problems on every truck we get, and it costs a lot, and is a PITA, but I still like it". I mean that in a "it does what it is built to do, every time you get in it." sort of way..

I don't fix things on my truck very often except for common maintenance-type things (oil, tires, brakes, etc.).

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, im really sorry to hear about the bad luck. Have you talked to APS? Maybe a prorated price? Any help at all?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by MonteC
Man, im really sorry to hear about the bad luck. Have you talked to APS? Maybe a prorated price? Any help at all?
He told me the first time I talked to him that it sounded like that sensor. I haven't talked to him after trying the sensor yesterday and it not fixing it.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem