2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

super tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super tech

is super tech worth using? i have always wondered about store brands and the products they sell. auto zone has its own oil, etc so would yall put these products in your oil, trans, diff, etc? i thought about using Super Tech for my rear diff just becuase it is $5 a bottle. am i the only one who has seriously considered store brand products?

if you have used them, have you conitnued why or why not?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

Store brand oils are the same as the brand name oils, the only thing they may lack is some of the additives. A 10W-30 Pensoil is the same as 10W-30 supertech in their weights and viscosity. I put store brand rearend oil in my truck all the time. I do prefer brand name when it comes to engine and tranny tho.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
truegent81
Captain

hey this also goes for off brand tools as well. i need to build up a variety of tools to be able to do work on the truck. i have some basic sockets and wrenchs that are Stanley. i was looking at wallyworld and i noticed soem air tools and compressors by the CH brand (campbell hausfeld). seems to be the only thing wally carries, so is it a good quality product? i want some air ratchets and grinders.

yeah, the reason i bring up this namebrand question is bc of things like royal purple and mobil1. what makes RP so much better than castrol or SuperTech? good input dodgeboy

Old 05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

i've got some cambel tools and they seem good for what i use them for, one thing about tools i've noticed is that if the tool you are going to buy is going to be used alot stick with the brand names, they generally have better warrenty or you can get replacement parts etc for them, things like screw drivers and such just get whatever bc you usually end up breaking them using them to pry somethin apart lol.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

there was a member on here "halfamil" and he used super tech every oil change, and he had 450K on the original motor...then he got a cummins...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
jamesnb
Professional

If you compare the ratings and approvals (API, ASTM, SAE, CJ-4, ect) store brand oils have to met or exceed this tests just like name brand oils. Each company is going to have a little different additive package that they seem to think makes their oil better than everybody elses. They spend a lot of money on advertising to try to convience you of it and you pay for there marketing when you pay extra for their product. The most important things are to use the approved oils and fluids, uses the ones appropriate for your situation(don't use 20w50 in Alaska in the winter), and change the oil and fluids at the recommended intervals. Haing said all that, I use Castrol in my gasoline engines and Delo in my Diesel most of the time.
As far as tools-- it took me a long time to learn this lesson--buy high quality, especially if it's something you are going to use more than two or three times. Tools are usually something you hold on to and it's better to spend the money now and not have to buy another one in two years or even 20 years.
I don't know if CH tools are good quality or not but I think you could find better quality. Also, be careful because sometimes companmies that normally make high quality will make a lower quality model to sell at Home Depot or somewhere.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from Stanley ratchets, I've broken 3 of them with minimal force. They do have a good warranty and get you a replacement pretty quick through the mail, but I've never broken my Crescent or Task Force ratchets.
Task Force is coming up in the world as far as quality now a days and they have a lifetime warranty. So if you're looking for cheap then you can't go wrong with Task Force.

Don't get Kobalt either, they've overpriced pieces of junk. Kobalt's quality has gone downhill lately.

So, Stanley is good for hand tools (as long as they aren't ratchets), Crescent hand tools are nice, Craftsman hand tools are good and Task force is good too and Gear Wrench is pretty good too. All of those have lifetime warranty's on them.

For an air compressor, you can't go wrong with Ingersoll Rand.
I have a 6 gallon Porter Cable that is good but it can't run air tools for very long due to such a small tank. You want at least a 17 gallon tank (60 would be better).

Vertical tanks are better too because they take up less space.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
truegent81
Captain

do you know what stores carry the task force or crescent? i'd rather buy them in store than online. good idea with the compressor.

off topic, what size tire are you running in that pic? do you have a leveling kit?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my Crescent box that I keep under the passenger seat from a local welding shop. You can get Task force at the parts stores and Lowes. I forgot about AmPro from Advance and Duralast from Autozone, they're good tools also. Irwin is another good one. Just look at the package of whatever tools you get and make sure they have a lifetime warranty on them because these Rams will make you get some use out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK17.../dp/B000LWAX2C That is the tool set I keep in the truck and it's a good one. They're selling it for the same thing I bought them for too.
My dads ram and my sisters ram both have one of those under the seats also.

I have 2.5" coil spacers in the front and 2" add a leafs in the rear with 33x11 tires (285 70 17 re-tread tires. That size is 32.8" for new tires but retreads measure out to 33") on the 17" off road rims.

Forgot to mention, that Tractor Supply's house brand (Master Hand) is another good one.
Hit up Big lots or Harbor Freight for pry bars/pipe wrenches/screwdriver bits/clamps and consumables like sand paper/brake cleaner/carb cleaner etc..

I also forgot to mention to stay away from Black and Decker power tools. They used to be high quality but they're junk now a days. DeWalt, Bosch and Porter Cable are my preferred brands for power tools because they last a long time.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 05-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 AM
truegent81
Captain

nvm looks like task force is at lowes.

good stuff, i'll have to keep that website in mind.

yeah i was at TSC last week and was looking at their tools, they seemed pretty good. i've already got a wrench set, i'm looking for a good socket and ratchet set.

Last edited by truegent81; 05-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: super tech