2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions if this is a good idea.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 PM
hirschy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions if this is a good idea.

So I’ve been saving up for some mods for the ram, some are a must but the others not so much.
But my truck is getting high on kilometers 195k (121k miles) so I’m not sure if it’s such a good idea or if it even matters.

Heres the list of parts needed:

Plenum Gasket( all these parts https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-included.html)

Double roller Timing chain

Plugs wires and cap

And change some gaskets heads, valve cover etc.

Not so needed parts:

Fastman 50mm throttle body

Headers (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9045/)

Cam KRC 206(http://www.krcperformance.com/)

(Lifters if they don’t come with the cam)

SCT tuner

(While I’m in that deep I was thinking of porting and blueprinting the heads)

Sorry if this is a repeat thread/question.

I was just wondering if it had to much kilometers/miles to be modding and taking everything apart, cause I thought if I'm that deep I might as well add those?

Suggestions welcome.

Jeff

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

About what I did, except I put in 1.7 roller rockers instead of a cam. Make sure you get a JP Performance timing chain. After talking with Aim4squirells about it, I wish I did.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what would the JP performance timing chain do?

Also, with that many miles, you should be alright at 121 mi. Just as long as the engine does not smoke. Just don't mill the heads to bump compression. Then you will have to get custom length pushrods. Not a good thing to have to measure.

YOu should be alright. I am doing the same thing, HOWEVER, you will need to add about 1000 extra dollars if you do the "not so needed" route.

Instead of getting the heads ported and blueprinted, so get these heads:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...l&partid=25426
799 assembled and flow lots better than RT heads. YOu don't want too much flow with that cam. The cam and heads need to be matched.

Basically do what this guy did with the 206 cam, RT heads, 1.6 roller rockers, SCT with a custom tune, and a stock intake with the plenum kit.
http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...p?topic=9197.0
Doing that, you will basically have the HP of a Hemi and more torque.

We are on the same build, so i can let you know how i do after memorial day weekend. Be patient and wait for my outcome. THat way you know exactly what you will need.

Replacement gaskets, bolts, thermostats (need 180* for the tune) and other things really add up. That is why I said, expect 1000 over what you have been researching. i have been researching since 2004 and I have a looooong parts list for cam/heads/roller rocker build.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

also, you can always do the heads at a later time. Heck, i would sell you my heads for 100 plus shipping when i am done, so you can practice some porting. i don'tthink there would be that much "duty" on the heads. (YOu would be the second canadian I sold heads to). My truck has only 48K on it.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Those mods can't hurt but I dont understand why you think 121k is high miles. Where I'm from that would be low mileage by far. My 95 Ram with 5.9 has 209K and runs like a top, however it has ate 3 trannies so far.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about some gears to help push them 33" down the road?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

you should bump the bottom list up to top priority, lol

Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
hirschy
Veteran

thanks for all the reponses.

Well 121miles is 195k kms and thats kinda getting up there in kilometers so thats why I was asking if it was worth modding and putting performance parts on I dont want it to self destruct as its my daily driver.

as for gears I have 3.92 stock and I really want 4.56( I see so point making just a small jump to get 4.10's) but there not really in the budget cause I drive alot and I have a feeling it'll want more fuel then it already does.

Thanks I'll have to look into the JP performance timing chain.

About those heads I'll have to think about it.

Jeff

Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
hirschy
Veteran

when I do the list above would I have to run a cooler temp plug or is stock temp ok?

Jeff

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
what would the JP performance timing chain do?

Also, with that many miles, you should be alright at 121 mi. Just as long as the engine does not smoke. Just don't mill the heads to bump compression. Then you will have to get custom length pushrods. Not a good thing to have to measure.

YOu should be alright. I am doing the same thing, HOWEVER, you will need to add about 1000 extra dollars if you do the "not so needed" route.

Instead of getting the heads ported and blueprinted, so get these heads:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...l&partid=25426
799 assembled and flow lots better than RT heads. YOu don't want too much flow with that cam. The cam and heads need to be matched.

Basically do what this guy did with the 206 cam, RT heads, 1.6 roller rockers, SCT with a custom tune, and a stock intake with the plenum kit.
http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...p?topic=9197.0
Doing that, you will basically have the HP of a Hemi and more torque.

We are on the same build, so i can let you know how i do after memorial day weekend. Be patient and wait for my outcome. THat way you know exactly what you will need.

Replacement gaskets, bolts, thermostats (need 180* for the tune) and other things really add up. That is why I said, expect 1000 over what you have been researching. i have been researching since 2004 and I have a looooong parts list for cam/heads/roller rocker build.
The KRC 206 is not the same cam this guy used in his build. Look at the specifications. It may be a slighly modified version of the cam the guy used in his build.

Also I am not 100% sure on this but I thought that the stock heads can only accept .480 lift before there are clearance issues. The KRC 206 has .512 lift on the exhaust so modification would be required.

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
also, you can always do the heads at a later time. Heck, i would sell you my heads for 100 plus shipping when i am done, so you can practice some porting. i don'tthink there would be that much "duty" on the heads. (YOu would be the second canadian I sold heads to). My truck has only 48K on it.
I would be interested in those heads. It would depend on shipping costs to wisconsin. I would port them and try to find the potential of the stockers ported.

Quick Reply: Suggestions if this is a good idea.