2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 will not pass emissions HELP Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
victoriav00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 will not pass emissions HELP Please

I have a dodge 2001 1500 ram everything is good on it, it passed the safety part but not the emission part. We unplugged the battery a couple of weeks ago to clean the terminals and I went to get it inspected and it will not pass the emissions part - says that the catolac converter and the evac not ready, so the guy said just to drive it more to reset it. So I did and brought it back in two weeks and still says the same thing not ready, he said to drive it more or bring it to the dodge dealership. I want to know what is wrong with it, do I need to drive it more or is it something else. He said maybe the computer needs a update? Not sure but it is making me mad. Anyone else having this problem or is it just us. PLEASE HELP. Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
JackJ
Captain

First off, where are you located. I know in California it is illegal to sell a vehicle with out a smog cert look into that. Second, try to find someone to clear all the codes from your computer right before you take it to the shop, again in Cali you may have to pay a hefty fee for this, for me to do it on base is $20 and auto parts shops here are not even aloud to read codes any more.

You may have a clogged cat, drive it till it is hot a hell then wack it with a hammer, this has been know to knock loose build up, while it is only a temp fix, it may work for you. The evac canister I believe is on the right side of the engine bay near the back, Make sure all the lines are is working order, not cracked or buggered up. The purpose of this is, from what I have been told, is to keep fuel vapors from leaking around every where by directing them to this canister where it recerculates it back through the system. Are you popping any codes besides the two you gave?

I don't think you did anything by cleaning the terminals prolly just a fluke, so dont think to hard in to that aspect of it.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
victoriav00

I am in New Hampshire, that is the only two codes that came up, all others were fine. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
JackJ
Captain

Did you just buy this truck or have you had it for a while. I sure that even they have similar laws, if bought private party you may have problems getting it to go your way, but if it is a dealer truck then they have to pay to fix it. Search the site a bit, look for some thing called the "death flash" type it in to the search this forum button on the right side of the page.

Then read up on SCT tuners. And the Plenum Fix.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

First question: What are the numbers of the codes you're pulling up?
Second one: If you know the codes have you ran them by an Autozone and gotten a diagnosis reading? I'd say no, so in order to determine what to check, you need to give us the codes please.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-05-2010, 06:14 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

Well, I'll be. Ya learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 will not pass emissions HELP Please