2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4X4 blues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 blues...

The other day I was driving out on the beach, and I noticed a single "pop". This was followed by another one a few minutes later, and another one. Finally, in a very soft portion, she went pop, pop, pop, pop, PA-YOW!! and the front tires stopped pulling. I suspected the CAD because the 4WD light went out immediately. I just pulled the passenger side axle shaft, and there doesnt seem to be any damage to the splines, but everything seems very worn, so I think an overhaul is necessary. Can anyone refer me to a good rebuild kit for my Dana 44 or any upgrades I may need?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

id buy a whole dana 60 axle assembly and do a complete swap.

http://car-part.com

Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd just fix the cad and call it done.
after fixing the cad a couple of times, i'd buy a posilok cable.

oh my - i've already done that...

edit - parts are available online from quad4x4 and riversidegear.com

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for threads I posted, I've been troubleshooting a similar problem.

There's a bushing and a bearing that are used to align the axles on the pass. side for the cad to engage, that's my problem. But, on the threads are the directions to troubleshoot the cad. Might not be the cad itself. If it is the cad, get the posilock, be done with that whole system. But it could also be those bushings and bearings. Another thing is the adjuster on the shift mechanism, or the t-case itself.

Basically, lift up the passenger side of the truck. Take off the 4 bolts that hold the cad to the axle. has 2 lines going to it. Try to slide the collar by hand, should connect the 2 shafts together. Spin the wheel to make sure that when all the way to the left, both axle pieces spin. If not, it's the bearing and bushing. Have someone in the truck shift between 2 and 4wd. You should see the fork in the housing move back and forth. If so, cad is working fine. The vacuum switches between the 2 lines connecting to the unit. If all works fine, might be the T case. Also, be forwarned that pulling off the cad will leak some fluid. i did not know, and have some (more) stains on my driveway.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Ive pulled it out. Seems there is no seal to keep contaminates out (who designed this?) and the axle tube is full of crud. Does the little spike on the axle shaft fit into like a pilot bearing in the other shaft? Because mine doesnt have one. Also, how about axle tube seals? All we have to play in around here is mud... T-case is now 241 HD that cost me dearly (it had better NOT be the case!!)

Quick Reply: 4X4 blues...