2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re average lifespan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got about 119,000 miles out of mine. It went very shortly after its first fluid change.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its me being a mechanic for a living, or just me being a cold hearted ***, but if you went 119k with out changing it, you deserve it.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Originally Posted by bigdip
Where is the check valve and why would I delete it? Sorry I don't know a lot about automatics.

I wanted to get an aftermarket cooler, but the lines have a fitting on them and dont seem like they would extend well beyond the stock location, what do people do to extend them? just cut off the fittings and use rubber clamps to add hose?
Check valve is the tranny hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator. It collects dirt and grit and crap and overtime will restrict the flow of fluid into the cooler and will burn up the transmission.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Here's a link for removing the check valve.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJ
Maybe its me being a mechanic for a living, or just me being a cold hearted ***, but if you went 119k with out changing it, you deserve it.

That may be if I hadn't gotten the truck at 114,000.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
bigdip
Rookie

Ill do that check valve delete, and look into those sensors. Thank you for the help, a lot of good tech on this forum.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
bigdip
Rookie

Another thing I forgot to mention was when I give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it shifts like new, can't feel it at all. And when it's floored it feels like its got a valve body kit, has that lurching feeling when it shifts.

It has a JET power control module, could it be controlling the shift firmness?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Derek Townsend
Default Did you ever figure out what was going on here?

Originally Posted by bigdip
Another thing I forgot to mention was when I give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it shifts like new, can't feel it at all. And when it's floored it feels like its got a valve body kit, has that lurching feeling when it shifts.

It has a JET power control module, could it be controlling the shift firmness?
I have the 46re in my 2002 Dodge Durango and it's doing exactly the same thing, under light acceleration it's shifting hard but if I put about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on it it's shifting like it's fresh off the showroom floor but if I really go at it (full throttle) it has that same valve kit feel of a shift.

Mine is going on 180k I've only put about eight thousand miles on it myself when I first got it it was already shifting kind of wonky like this and I've been trying to hunt down the problem ever since.

The only information I have from before I got the car was that it did have a small vacuum leak when I bought it which I fixed after about only 5 miles of driving it home, the vacuum leak was causing a bit of high idle and overheating though and I don't know how long the old owner went with that going on.

Last edited by Derek Townsend; 04-17-2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo and additional information.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Townsend
I have the 46re in my 2002 Dodge Durango and it's doing exactly the same thing, under light acceleration it's shifting hard but if I put about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on it it's shifting like it's fresh off the showroom floor but if I really go at it (full throttle) it has that same valve kit feel of a shift.

Mine is going on 180k I've only put about eight thousand miles on it myself when I first got it it was already shifting kind of wonky like this and I've been trying to hunt down the problem ever since.

The only information I have from before I got the car was that it did have a small vacuum leak when I bought it which I fixed after about only 5 miles of driving it home, the vacuum leak was causing a bit of high idle and overheating though and I don't know how long the old owner went with that going on.
This thread is 9 years old they aren't around anymore. Please check the dates before you post

Quick Reply: 46re average lifespan?