2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can Clear coat be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
N7HJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Clear coat be fixed?

Peeling and flaking and looks like someone sunburnt. Guy that had it before me never waxed it and was in Arizona for 3 summers.

I really cannot afford a total respray but I hate the look.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likly not,,, unless the color isnt gone but it will never look new unless you start over

this is what i did...cheap fix
Name:  truckss288.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  149.5 KB
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-and-pics.html

Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get just the clear resprayed pretty cheap

Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

variable speed buffer and some 3M rubbing compound. Autozone sells a good one with a real wool hat. The 3M will really get the oxidation off. but don't go too hard or fast, otherwise you will burn the paint.

There is a book in autozone about repaining your vehicles. i bought it (but can't find it now). It had really good advice.

YOu really can't make it look any worse if you buff it yourself. Just make sure that you don't drybuff. That means, when you put the compound on and you are buffing for a while until the compound gets so dry that dust starts blowing around, just add more compound. i also kept a spray bottle with H2O around and misted it every once in a while.

My truck was not oxidized, I just wanted to get some fine scratches and swirls out.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once the clearcoat has peeled off, no amount of buffing will make the colorcoat shiny. That's what the clearcoat is for.
I would check with (if your city has them) Earl Shieb or MAACO. While these are low end refinishing shops, they may be able to fine wet sand your truck and put a new clearcoat on for a decent price. Or at least the worst areas.

Quick Reply: Can Clear coat be fixed?