2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny line sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
blown67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny line sensor?

I have a 98 1500 4wd, a couple days ago it developed a tranny leak, it is coming from one of the cooler lines, where a sensor looks to be attached to the line with a "T" type connection, about a foot from where it connects to the tranny itself. I have been looking around online for the replacement line but all the ones I have found show only a solid line with no fitting for the sensor, anyone have a part number? And does anyone know what this sensor is? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 AM
ghost4321
Professional

I don't think that's stock. Did you get the truck used? Sounds like someone put a temp sensor in the line.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 AM
blown67

Yeah, its my brother in laws, he picked it up a year or so ago, been a good truck, minor stuff so far, rotted brake line, U-joints stuff like that. I was thinking that it might have been like an option for a temp gauge, the rest of the line looks great the the section where the sensor is located is the only part thats rusted, I'll snap a pic before I fix it, I was going to try to just fix the broken section but the whole line is only 20 bucks.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the T for the temp sender is an add on. you can either fix/replace the T, or splice it out, or just replace the entire line. there's not a huge amount of pressure on it, so you can use a union and compression fitting, etc, like a standard plumbing job. or you can get an entire hard line with hoses from summit for surprisingly little. something like 25-50 bucks.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
blown67

thanks for the response, I think I will get a compression fitting and fix the line, like I said before the whole line looks perfect except for where the T is, and even if I can only slow the leak down with a compression fitting to a slow drip to get it to my house to replace the whole line.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you only need a temporary patch, then cut out the T and replace with a short length of auto trans cooler hose. its about $3/ft at any local auto parts store.

with good clamps, possible double clamps since they tend to be small, that could be a permanent patch. i use hose at my cooler and remote filter.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM
blown67

Update: Turns out the truck is a 95 and not a 98, there is a factory line with a temp. sensor is tee'd into it, it was part of a plowing package, the sensor trips an idiot light in the dash, replacement line is 80 bucks, I opted for the cooler hose and 4 clamps, 5 dollars and 7 cents. He dosent plow or tow with it, just some home depot runs and stuff like that. Funny thing is it wasnt even the line that failed, it was the fitting itself that was welded to the line.

Quick Reply: Tranny line sensor?