2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

well heres another problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
alwaysaproblem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well heres another problem...

Ok, i understand this is the wrong spot to post but i kind of need a fast answer and this area has helped me out once before... I got a 92 b250 conversion and the voltage was all over the place. I bypassed the voltage regulator in the pcm with just an external and now the voltage works great.

However, I am having problems now, Overdrive doesn't engage. Switch lights up cool but nothing. I have a nearly 24hr trip coming up and well, frankly would like to fix it without spending a lot of money. Is there a way that i could just hook up the overdrive to a switch or anything so i can just turn it on and off? also, before i go, would there be any things i should check to see if is bad ( other than connections, but im more leaning toward the pcm being bad cuz the voltage reg went, sooo... ) is a switch possible?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Doesn't the overdrive switch DISABLE overdrive?? Simply cycling the key should re-enable it..... Not sure what the voltage regulator being bypassed would have to do with that problem though.. Unless the overvoltage screwed up the PCM...

Not sure how you would troubleshoot that without a scanner.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
alwaysaproblem

cycling the switch doesnt enable or disable it, even though it should. but it is getting power to it so the switch is good. pcm probably crapped out, i had a surge that blew out the headlights, it turned an awesome purple color but thats besides the point.

I guess what im trying to get at is, what is the best and fasted way to just throw a switch on it to turn it on or off while bypassing all the stupid cpu crap?

** Nothings simple anymore, i miss throwing sbc motors in ****, so easy and they work perfectly... computers are nothing more than a planned obsolescence to make corporate america more money... **

Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM
alwaysaproblem

*bump*

Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you want to run a switch? just run a wire from the power to toggle switch, and ground to toggle switch...put an inline fuse in if you do this...it can all be done with about 12 bucks. (toggle switch, wire, and inline fuse adaptor)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The overdrive switch just grounds a terminal on the PCM. (Connector 3, pin 13.) If the switch fails, it defaults to "enabled". Unless the wire has found a ground elsewhere, (Orange with white trace) it should work.

Pull the connector off the pcm, and probe with a VOM, and see if the wire is shorted to ground somewhere. ( 0 resistance to ground.) If not, cycle the switch, and see if anything changes. If the switch actually makes a difference here, the problem is in the PCM, or the trans......

Quick Reply: well heres another problem...