2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mounting MSD box in the cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting MSD box in the cab

Has anyone mounted one inside the cab? I have my old MSD from my 1996, but there is less space in the 2001 to mount it close enough to the fuze box (SO I can have a good power source). In my 1996 I had it tucked in the driver side corner, but I am thinking that mounting it under and inside the dash and routing the wires through the firewall grommet.

I don't see a problem, but just curious if anyone else did this.

I have plenty of space on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but the power cable is not long enough to reach the fuse box.

I was thinking of mounting it to the fuse box cover.

So:
1. inside the cab
2. Fuse box cover: Using double sided tape

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

On the fuse box cover??? How big is the box?

If you want to mount it inside the cab, pick your power source, and run a slightly fatter wire to a junction block, that you mount in range of the current power wire.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

it is a bit larger than the MSD box. The box is a 6AL. About 9 inches x 4 inches.

I can fit the power wire from the box thru the firewall and to the fuse box power terminal. Or even the pos battery cable.

I was just thinking of safety concerns.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

also, anyone know what type of solder i am supposed to get for these small wires? Or just regular electric solder.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Oh, I thought you were thinking of mounting the BOX to the fuse box cover..... That seemed REALLY odd to me.

I think the power wire has an inline fuse? If not, put one in it, and wire it to where ever you can get power. Switched power would prolly be a good idea, as the constant draw of an unswitched source might kill your battery overnight.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People in the Mustang world mount their MSD boxes in the glove box all the time. It's a common thing. You will be fine.

To HeyYou the box has (or should) have a constant power wire and ground (direct to the battery is best). It's then connected to your stock coil wire. The box doesn't draw power I don't believe until it's tripped from the coil wire. I have a Summit box and it's wired this way and has a power light on it. The light isn't on until I start the truck so it shouldn't be drawing power. No switch is needed. Installing a switch could actually cause problems I would think because the hot wire is needed to gain power for the box to "charge" to perform the multiple sparks. Plus you forget to turn on the switch you ain't moving.

I'm sure you know all this CP. Just trying to explain a little

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

^^ THat is why I put the power source onto the fuze box terminal that powers the fuses.

AND I WAS TALKING ABOUT MOUNTING IT TO THE TOP OF THE FUSE BOX :P . I don't want to have to run more power wire to be able to mount it to the other side of the Engine compartment.

I will just mount it inside. I like to keep things hidden. Doing a bunch to the truck over memorial day weekend.

MSD ignition and coil
Accel tuneup kit (Have been using it for years and am pleased)
24# Ford Motorsport (Bosch) 4 hole injectors, w/ new o rings
Hughes plenum kit (not even sure if it needs it at 48K, but it will soon)
Brake pads and maybe rotors (OE).
SCT from hemifever (need to email him the info). "Canned" tune until I put heads and RRs on next January (Or sooner depending on how well algae to biodiesel tech stocks do).

And some engine compartment dress up that some on here will be jealous of.

Pretty much just tinkering, but a good weekend project to keep me busy while my wife is away visiting her parents.

Quick Reply: Mounting MSD box in the cab