2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C cuts out when towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started losing my A/C on our trip to SD last year. Heading up the Black Hills and it started cutting out on the hills. Worked fine while in the mountains. Started cutting out again on the way back down. Finally lost it completely by time we hit MN and hotter than He!!. Shortly after arriving back home in WI the A/C clutch went **** up and locked up. If the bearings are starting to go the clutch plate will start to get very warm. Dad noticed right away that the clutch was burning out. Color of the plate or something. Check yer clutch. As it gets hot it kills the mag connection until it cools off again. Curie temp and all that mumbo jumbo.

p.s. if it turns out the A/C clutch is fubar, you can swap it with out changing out the pump. Make sure you change out the armature as well since it will be toast...if it was a heat issue causing your failure. I couldn't find a replacement clutch anywhere, ended up getting a used pump and swapping parts. Works like new again.

Last edited by Flue; 05-17-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM
eddievalleytrailer

Originally Posted by Flue
Started losing my A/C on our trip to SD last year. Heading up the Black Hills and it started cutting out on the hills. Worked fine while in the mountains. Started cutting out again on the way back down. Finally lost it completely by time we hit MN and hotter than He!!. Shortly after arriving back home in WI the A/C clutch went **** up and locked up. If the bearings are starting to go the clutch plate will start to get very warm. Dad noticed right away that the clutch was burning out. Color of the plate or something. Check yer clutch. As it gets hot it kills the mag connection until it cools off again. Curie temp and all that mumbo jumbo.

p.s. if it turns out the A/C clutch is fubar, you can swap it with out changing out the pump. Make sure you change out the armature as well since it will be toast...if it was a heat issue causing your failure. I couldn't find a replacement clutch anywhere, ended up getting a used pump and swapping parts. Works like new again.
Thanks. The next time it does it, I'll check the wires going to it for voltage. If it has 12v, my problem must be the clutch. I will look for any discoloration or any wierdness on it tonight.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
eddievalleytrailer
Default **update**

I haven't been driving the 'Ole Dodge lately because of the A/C trouble. I got it out today, and same thing. The A/C will work just fine for 10-15 minutes, then compressor won't click on. So, drove it until it quit working, pulled over, jumped out and checked the wires going to the clutch. It had power on it. So, looks like I must have a bad clutch. I had the clutch only replaced on my Semi truck a couple years back. It even looks like the same compressor. Auto parts stores don't list a clutch for the Dodge. I might take it to the diesel shop to see if a big truck clutch is the same. Anyone have any ideas? Snod remarks? Bad jokes? I really want to get this thing fixed.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Two goldfish are in their tank, one turns to the other and says "you man the guns, I'll drive."

Good luck with the fix.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
eddievalleytrailer

Originally Posted by ghost4321
Two goldfish are in their tank, one turns to the other and says "you man the guns, I'll drive."

Good luck with the fix.
WOW!!! That really WAS a bad joke...thanks, I needed a laugh.

Quick Reply: A/C cuts out when towing