2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rocker Arm Replacement/Tuner/Plenum kit????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm Replacement/Tuner/Plenum kit????

So guys pretty soon im going to be replacing my plenum gasket and either adding a huges or aps kit. I guess i have a few questions to go along with this.

1. First of all which kit is better?
2. I want to put a programer of some sort on my truck. What is going to give me my best bang for my buck? so far i've been leaning on hypertech over superchips. Is there something better out there?
3. I've heard alot about 1.7 ratio rocker upgrades. What am i going to benefit from an upgrade like that and is it going to cause any valve train problems as far as clearance?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing the exact same thing over memorial day weekend

1.7 rrs
SCT tuned by hemifever (just PM him)
accel tuneup kit
hughes plenum kit

Extras from my 1996 that i am putting in my 2001 (not counted in price)
24# injectors from www.fiveomotorsports.com
MSD ignition and MSD coil

It is gonna cost me about 1100 for everything, but i am getting new wire for my MSD, new cooling hoses, and some engine dress up.

For what you want, here is the list:
SCT Tuner from hemifever: 275
Plenum kit from www.hughesengines.com (plus the kit with gaskets and hardware): 135
180* thermostat: 14 from summit
1.7 Harland sharl NON ADJUSTABLE RRs from summitracing: 349

I will post my build sheet when i am done. It is my memorial day weekend project.

--Dan

P.S. You need to do the plenum before you do the programmer

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

forgot to mention:
Accel tuneup kit: 99 bucks. But i would just get the summit kit since you do not have a MSD ignition. Only 40 bucks but it doesn't come with spark plugs. just get the NGK plugs from autozone that are about 3 buchs a piece. Copper plugs!!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

1. I like the Hughes kit, but either will work just fine. I do recommend on ditching the gasket they provide and getting a nicer Felpro unit, though. Much nicer gasket. It may not be 100% necessary, but I wanted to take extra precautions to try and make sure I never had to get that done again.
2. SCT is the best, $375 last time I checked from Hemifever. Custom tunes are the way to go, not that the Superchips/Hypertech is bad at all, but custom tunes beat canned tunes any day of the week.
3. 1.7RRs are a great upgrade, or so I am told over, and over, and over again. They are on my list for eventual purchases. No clearances issues I am aware of, they should work fine, as long as you don't plan on putting in a new performance cam any time soon.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
1. I like the Hughes kit, but either will work just fine. I do recommend on ditching the gasket they provide and getting a nicer Felpro unit, though. Much nicer gasket. It may not be 100% necessary, but I wanted to take extra precautions to try and make sure I never had to get that done again.
2. SCT is the best, $375 last time I checked from Hemifever. Custom tunes are the way to go, not that the Superchips/Hypertech is bad at all, but custom tunes beat canned tunes any day of the week.
3. 1.7RRs are a great upgrade, or so I am told over, and over, and over again. They are on my list for eventual purchases. No clearances issues I am aware of, they should work fine, as long as you don't plan on putting in a new performance cam any time soon.
Yep, no clearance issues with the 1.7s. Make sure you get the correct part number if your going for the 1.7s. You can look up number on the forum it should be all over the place.

Its your choice if you get the adjustable or non adjustables. Diff.: The non adjustables are a quick replacement, literally undo a bolt, crank engine take pressure of spring and replace with new rolling rocker. The ADJUSTABLES requre you to bring your engine to Top Dead Center for the installation. For your purposes, there really isnt a benefit to getting the adjustables.

Again, as Jason said, as long as you dont thrown in a cam with a larger duration, you wont have issues hitting your valve covers.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Hemifever gives these prices:
275 for canned tune
375 for custom tune

He said that a custom tune is more for head and cam engines. ALso, he said that you need a wideband AF gauge to get the AF ratio at WOT in order for a custom tune to be any good.

YOu can get the canned tune (which is actually his custom tune for specific years and engines) for 275, and upgrade to the custom with other mods for the extra 100.

I know, I just bought it YESTERDAY.

Hemifever told me that RRs/24# injectors and headers are not enough to get anything out of a custom tune.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

i asked hemifever about the sct tuner, and hopefully soon i will be ordering parts to do the plenum gasket. I am looking at ordering the firepower ignition kit. What do people think about that kit or has anyone had any experience with it? http://www.performancedistributors.com/dtrkignition.htm
That is the kit i was looking at. i heard that brass terminals in the rotor and cap help significantly with these trucks.
I was also thinking about giving E3 spark plugs a try. Any feedback on that?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Stay away from E3 spark plugs. I ran these on my truck and got 3 cylinders misfiring. Truck ran like doggy doo. Changed back to the Champion plugs and she ran smooth. Not to mention Champs are 1/3 the price of E3's. U do the math...

Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

alright i'll definently go with either champion plugs or ngk's then. has anyone installed the hughes edlebrock intake?
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773

Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 PM
kj4cwa
Professional

What type of mileage to you guys have on you engines?

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm Replacement/Tuner/Plenum kit????