2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hesitating to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
kj4cwa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitating to start

My truck is hesitating to start. It started when I had the plenum fix installed a few (like 3) weeks ago. What should I check?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Fuel pressure when you first turn the key on. (but don't try and start.)

Try this: When you go out to your truck first thing in the morning, turn the key on, but, don't try and start it. Do you hear the fuel pump run? (you should....) If it does, cycle the key off, and then on, one more time, this serves to prime the fuel rail.... if on the third cycle, the engine fires right up, there's your problem. Either the check valve in the pump has failed (which holds pressure on the rail for a while) or the pump itself is getting weak.

See what happens with that.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
revvinram
Professional

Kj,
Im having the same issue, but try as heyyou said, if that doesn't cause it to fire right up, which in my case it still did the same thing, have the volume of fuel checked that's different then pressure. My volume indicated below .2 and it should be .5..
Im replacing my pump this weekend.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
kj4cwa
Professional

Originally Posted by revvinram
have the volume of fuel checked that's different then pressure. My volume indicated below .2 and it should be .5..
Im replacing my pump this weekend.

How do I do this? Is it something I can do or should I take it to a shop?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
revvinram
Professional

You need to take it to the shop. And verify they can determine fuel volume not just pressure..

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
kj4cwa
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fuel pressure when you first turn the key on. (but don't try and start.)

Try this: When you go out to your truck first thing in the morning, turn the key on, but, don't try and start it. Do you hear the fuel pump run? (you should....) If it does, cycle the key off, and then on, one more time, this serves to prime the fuel rail.... if on the third cycle, the engine fires right up, there's your problem. Either the check valve in the pump has failed (which holds pressure on the rail for a while) or the pump itself is getting weak.

See what happens with that.
Ok. I did that and I didn't hear the fuel pump (air bag buzzer is loud) but it did fire right up on the third cycle. Do you think that one of my injectors was not put back in properly?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

If there aren't any external leaks, it might be a leaking injector (leaking into the intake), or, a bad check valve on the pump. Possibly even a failing regulator. If you have a pressure gauge, screw it on there, cycle the key a few times to build pressure, and then pinch off the supply line, and see if pressure bleeds off. If it does, probably a leaky injector. (which would also give you hard starting.... to much gas in the intake)

I am going to guess bad check valve though, given that it fires right up on the third cycle.

Quick Reply: Hesitating to start