2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can you tell whats wrong with this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
reese66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you tell whats wrong with this?

1st I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Reese and I'm new to the dodge forums. I just bought a 99 ram 1500 4x4 may 6th. Sense I’ve had it I’ve had to add more then 2 quarts of oil! So I got underneath and noticed there seems to be oil all over the bottom of the front end. I tried to see where it’s coming from for hours to no avail. I'm no mechanic but imp not mechanically challenged ether. it occasionally idles kind of funny like it will shoot up from 600rpms to 800 or 900 and you can feel the truck get a little shaky when it does that but its inconsistent and only once and a while. Also the Trans makes a slight whining noise that’s hardly noticeable but easily noticed when in reverse. And lastly it’s leaking fluid from the wheels and where the front driveshaft meets the front axel. I bought this from a dealer who is responsible for paying for the repairs. I just dont want him to try and pull the wool over my eyes and pretend like its no big deal. thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
reese66

i have pics but they are way too large to attach to the thread but i could email them or try and find a way to link them

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF!

You could use a Photobucket account to upload them there, and then post the links here.

Part of the missing oil issue may be a plenum gasket leak. Do a search on that one to learn about it, it is discussed weekly, if not every other day.

As far as the transmission noise, have you checked the transmission fluid? Make sure and let it warm up, and check it in neutral. Do not check it in park. A whine in reverse can be normal, mine has that occasionally. May even just need the bands adjusted. However, a constant whine in all gears can be a symptom of low transmission fluid.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you need new axle seals also..... If the dealer is gonna fix it, make sure to tell him all about all this stuff and ensure that they do actually fix it....

welcome to DF! good luck with the truck!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.
oil usage with no visible leak is plenum.
visible oil leaks from the engine could be rear main, front crank seal, oil pan, valve covers. rear main, oil pan, valve covers are pretty easy. front crank seal is a little more teardown, replace water pump if you do it.

surging idle is probably throttle position sensor or idle air control motor(sensor).

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

leaking at the wheels is axle seals, leaking at the drive shaft (on the differential) is the pinion seal.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
SunhawkRam
Rookie

I agree with the planum needing fixed. The surging idle could just be your fuel injectors getting a little clogged. All you have to do is get some fuel injector cleaner to add to your gas tank. Do that three or four times at the most, and it could take that problem out of the equation

Quick Reply: can you tell whats wrong with this?