2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Matts96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

Ok, i have a 1996 dodge ram sport with the 360 in it that is giving me some trouble and i cant figure out why.Started about 2 weeks ago, i was driving my daughter to school and it just died. I cranked on it for about 15 seconds then it started and ran ruff for a few seconds. Then after i dropped her off it did it again so i cranked on it and it started. Since then it has done the same thing but now it doesnt want to start when it dies. I had it in the driveway the other day running trying to see if it would die at idle. Well it did then started right back up. Ran for about a minute and i tried to give it gas and it died. Then wouldnt start, i cranked on it for about 5 minutes on and off. I checked my schrader to see if i had fuel in the rail. It kinda just dribbled out alittle. So i though maybe it wasnt getting fuel. I sprayed some starting fluid in the tb and still wouldnt start. So i check spark. Firing like it should. Then i leave it for a minute and come back and i fires but sounds like either it is starved for fuel or flooded. Anyways i had autozone check the codes and it came up with coolant temp sensor fault and random misfire and #8 misfire. I just need someone to send me in the right direction with what might be the problem. Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 11:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm guessing fuel pump.
the scientific way to test it is with a fuel pressure gauge at the rail. should be 49psi +/- 5. it should also hold good pressure for several minutes after shutoff. i can't remember the exact number, but its in the 01 service manual in the DIY. you can usually rent or borrow a gauge at autozone, advance, etc.

the unscientific method is to turn on the key, wait a few moments, then shut it off and press the schrader valve. 49psi should squirt gas directly into your eye.

IF you determine its the pump, then its in the tank, and you can drop the tank or raise the bed about 2 feet. there's only about 6 bolts and tail lights, but its pretty heavy, so you need some friends, or jacks, or hoist or something.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 AM
duck Blaster

Originally Posted by Matts96
Ok, i have a 1996 dodge ram sport with the 360 in it that is giving me some trouble and i cant figure out why.Started about 2 weeks ago, i was driving my daughter to school and it just died. I cranked on it for about 15 seconds then it started and ran ruff for a few seconds. Then after i dropped her off it did it again so i cranked on it and it started. Since then it has done the same thing but now it doesnt want to start when it dies. I had it in the driveway the other day running trying to see if it would die at idle. Well it did then started right back up. Ran for about a minute and i tried to give it gas and it died. Then wouldnt start, i cranked on it for about 5 minutes on and off. I checked my schrader to see if i had fuel in the rail. It kinda just dribbled out alittle. So i though maybe it wasnt getting fuel. I sprayed some starting fluid in the tb and still wouldnt start. So i check spark. Firing like it should. Then i leave it for a minute and come back and i fires but sounds like either it is starved for fuel or flooded. Anyways i had autozone check the codes and it came up with coolant temp sensor fault and random misfire and #8 misfire. I just need someone to send me in the right direction with what might be the problem. Thanks
Sounds like you could have a slight head gasket leaking water into #8cyl. giving you a misfire . When it sets for a few minutes the water that was in cyl.#8 turned to steam and it will run for a while then get messed up again .Had the same kind of problem thought it was fuel pump turned out to be head gasket on pass side right by last cyl. which is #8.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
SunhawkRam
Rookie

My friends 98 ram sport did the same thing, kinda, it kept starting and dying. His problem was simply his battery! All he had to do was get a new battery and it started and ran like a champ after that