2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

aluminum heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum heads?

ive found some aluminum heads that i may be interested in for my 408 swap. Out of everyone on the forum i have never heard of anyone talking about aluminum heads on a magnum. I have heard of the stronger aftermarket heads but havent heard anything about aluminum heads. Any of yall have any experience with aluminum heads on a magnum engine? good idea? worth the money?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaDodge
ive found some aluminum heads that i may be interested in for my 408 swap. Out of everyone on the forum i have never heard of anyone talking about aluminum heads on a magnum. I have heard of the stronger aftermarket heads but havent heard anything about aluminum heads. Any of yall have any experience with aluminum heads on a magnum engine? good idea? worth the money?
the corvettes all seem to have great luck with them after 1986 I dont see why not...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

im just trying to weigh the pros and cons of everything. this build is going to nickel and dime me to death so i want to get the best parts before everything gets started. i want this to be the last motor i build for my baby

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hm i dunno i would stick with steel, i wouldnt want to risk you heads over heating

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

thats what i was thinking, plus the extra cost turns me away too, i can barely afford the steel heads

Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well the aluminum heads are lighter and dont seem to have any over heating issues on hard working performance corvette engines and they switched from the old cast iron heads in 86 for that reason.Actually aluminuim heads are known for their ability to cool better than cast iron heads so that theroy is wrong. What are the new hemi heads made of?...yep you guessed it aluminum. as it seems most engines are it takes a lot of heat to warp aluminum heads... even my air cooled vw has them and it gets hot with no radiator to keep temps at a constant..
oh yeah you can run a higher compression ratio with aluminum so higher hp potential too...
plus alum heads usually flow better and are also easier to port and polish for even more power...they are superior hands down even though some say you can get a bit more torque from a hotter running iron head because it keeps more heat in the combustion chamber but I dont think this is even measurable..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

check out clearwater heads on ebay there cheap and there performance with the 2.02 valves

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

i heard they help in advancing timing too. i dont know if this is right or not.

im looking at clearwater, they will be who i go with in the end

Last edited by GeorgiaDodge; 05-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

ya i think im going with after the airgap, aim4squirrles i believe has those heads

Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

should i go airgap with the stroker or should i keep the modded kegger? im wanting to go with the airgap while im spending the money

Quick Reply: aluminum heads?