2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

If not Plenum then what??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
GreenRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If not Plenum then what??

Ok I'm stumped. I all ready replaced my plenum gasket on my 5.2L truck (that didn't look that bad anyway) and I'm still getting the pinging. I don't get it at low torque but if I go up a hill or put a load on my truck at cruising speed it starts pinging. I'm to the point where I just want to go out and buy the Hughes complete intake, timing chain and new O2 sensors. I don't want to do this because of the obvious prices but I just don't know what else could be casueing this. I run 87 octane in my truck. Its a 5 speed. Any help would be appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out. What else could be causeing this? Oh and this is the first Dodge I have ever owned is it normal for the 5.2L to be gutless? At low end it seems good but other than that doesn't seem to have a whole lot.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your cat , its prob clogged were known for it, and whens the last time you have done a tune up ?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 PM
GreenRam

I did the tune up when I did the plenum gasket. I put the 180 thermo in it too but thats comeing back out. My truck didn't heat up worth a crap in the cold. I know that when a Cat goes bad you get that egg smell sometimes. How else can you check it? I did have a code that popped up for the after Cat O2. The code has only came and gone twice. The one thing that I didn't do that I should have was seafoam my engine. I did this repair a while ago though I would have figured it would have cleared up by now if was just the carbon.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
GreenRam

Oh and I don't know if this helps but it doesn't ping when its cold. Its when the truck warms up is when it starts.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what plugs do you have in ?? are they gapped correctly . right firing order ?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Check ou this TSB https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html. This maybe your issue.

Dave

Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for the routing TSB.

Also, if you use the wrong plugs, it will cause similar problems. Like lastrights asked, I second the question... what plugs do you use?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
GreenRam

I'm not exactly sure what kind of plugs they are. I don't have access to my truck as of yet. I'm Iraq at the moment but will be home soon and look forward to figuring this problem out. I bought the tune up kit as a set along with the plenum plate, gasket and tune up kit from Hughes. It came with plugs, wires, distriputor cap and thermo. So whatever plugs they gave me is what I put on there. It was acting the same before the kit and tune up with out any change. I didn't relize the routeing of the wires was a such a big deal. I just thought if they were routed away from the exhaust it wasn't a big deal. I have never heard of this. Why is this such a issue with these trucks? It idles fine maybe a slight mist. If the truck isn't moveing I can rev it up and down with now pinging. It only happens when its warm and putting a load on it in higher gears. As long as I keep the RPMs up its fine.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM
GreenRam

Thanks guys for the ideas so far. Any other ideas? Has anyone had this pinging issue and it turned out it wasn't the Plenum? What ever help I can get I'd appreciate very much. I'd hate to just throw parts at this thing.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Signal 2
Amateur

Originally Posted by GreenRam
.... Any other ideas?
Run a higher octane level than 87.

Last edited by Signal 2; 05-23-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: If not Plenum then what??