2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plugs - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY nice sounding! I added up everything that I need to do to the truck and it came to between 500 and 600 with shipping. So it will be a long time coming but I will make that ram run better than it ever has.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently had to mess with my stock 2X2" in and 1X2.5" out cat because it broke up internally and clogged up going down the road.

First thing I did was just hollow it out and the truck ran way better like that.

Replacement parts in the mail were Magnaflow 990039HM 3" I/O for around $100 shipped. I also needed a 2-3" y pipe, another 25 bucks or so. All welded up in the truck was another $70 to my welder.

I gotta say that the 3" cat on there works way better than the hollowed out 2.5" OEM cat. I can't say whether or not the magnaflo direct replacement for the OEM cat would not have been just as good as what I got but I believe the reduced restriction of going to a 3" pipe all the way through the cat to the tailpipe is quite signigficant and noticeable power wise as compared to even the hollowed out oem cat. My perception of the hollowed out oem cat as compared to the improvement from the 3" cat would seem to support this notion but I have no proof.

When I say the performance boost is significant I really mean it. This was a nice noticeable performance gain for me. Oddly the power improvements occured all accross the RPM band too where I was just expecting only high RPM improvements. It really gave me a bunch of stump pulling/ right off idle grunt which for my towing purposes was very welcomed. It really pulls right off idle now and the added bonus is it will rev a lot more freely up around 4500-5000 RPM now. It does seem to rev out much more nicely now. Don't get me wrong it's no cammed out dragster but now it feels less like there is a giant sock shoved up in the tailpipe.

Not an instant reacecar by any stretch of the imagination but way more useable for what I'm doing. For the $200 or so for the parts and installation I would consider it to be one of the higher priority upgrades for someone looking for budget mild horsepower iincreases at least for these older rams with the 2 into one cats. That 2.5 is just too small it would seem.

Quick Reply: Plugs - WOW