2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Here We Go Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
MNRAM1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here We Go Again

Yea guys I know that this is like the second go around with this but I still wanna make my truck louder! I haven't heard a set up that I like yet. As of right now i have cat back straight pipes that come out at 45's. 2 1/4 inch pipe and 3 1/2 in tips. I want it to have some more snap and way louder. Anybody have luck with hollowing out the cat? Then what glasspacks behind it? I want it louder but I don't wanna be gettin pulled over for noise violations ya know? Let me know what ya'll got and what I can do. I'm kinda on a limited budget though. I'm thinking about hollowing out my cat with a 12in glasspack, then bringing it out at 90's wtih 31/2in tips? What do you think?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IF you want some serious volume along with the option to be legal, your going to be running into some constraints. That being said, what I've done is to use a cutout that you can open and close on the fly. It's a lot louder than what you've got there and depending on where you locate it (pre or post CAT) you can really get some serious volume out of it.

Some guys cut the pipes short and run them just behind the cab pointed down at the ground. I run 3" pipe and 4 inch tips. You could up your pipe size but, you've got to choose your poison- volume or low end torque related issues when choosing too large diameter pipe.

You could also REMOVE or change out the CAT for a more open sound while still being street legal. (or not, if you remove it altogether or GUT it)

You could put headers on- that will make it sound way different vs OEM. I don't know how loud you need it to be but, mine, with a huge muffler, HI-flow cat, headers, 3 inch, 4 inch tips- it's very loud when you stomp on it. But, it's a deep throaty tone with that perfect top end at high RPMs.

If you prefer that pingy, or snappy "glasspack" sound from yesteryear, then, of course, you'd be looking at that type of add-on to make your truck sound like that, cracky, snappy, pingy-more high-pitched tone. I hate that sound myself but, to each his own.

CM

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a hollow cat and a cherrybomb glasspack, and I have none of the 'cracky pingyness' or popping etc. whatsoever.... Mine's got a nice loud deep sound to it, you definitely can hear it before you see it.... No disrespect to you cmckenna, I've heard lots of people talking about the same thing you are, not saying you are wrong . Mine just doesn't do that....

MN, if you want to do it cheaply, that's the way I would go... My cat was already gutted when I got the truck but it's not that hard to do, and a CBomb is under 30 bucks....

Old 05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on where he is cut outs would be illegal. We can't have them in PA you'll fail emissions

Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
MNRAM1500
Professional

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
I have a hollow cat and a cherrybomb glasspack, and I have none of the 'cracky pingyness' or popping etc. whatsoever.... Mine's got a nice loud deep sound to it, you definitely can hear it before you see it.... No disrespect to you cmckenna, I've heard lots of people talking about the same thing you are, not saying you are wrong . Mine just doesn't do that....

MN, if you want to do it cheaply, that's the way I would go... My cat was already gutted when I got the truck but it's not that hard to do, and a CBomb is under 30 bucks....
what size glasspack you got?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Cut outs shouldn't affect emissions when they are closed. You can out them on a cable lever or have the butterfly nuts.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KY BIGRAM
Cut outs shouldn't affect emissions when they are closed. You can out them on a cable lever or have the butterfly nuts.
Tell them that and see how far ya get

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live out in So Cal and they are illegal as hell but, we use the kind that have motors so you can open and close them with a flip of a switch. But, at time of inspection, you've got to be careful of which SMOG shop you take it to. I've never had an issue when I ran them before because, on a Dodge RAM, no one suspects it.

A kid I used to work with had a Dodge SRT where, he got busted by the cops because they suspected he modded the car. They pulled him over and got a tow truck to get it up in the air so the cop could inspect it. Sure enough, it got impounded and he got a big fine as well.

CM

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
northernRAM

you want your truck to make more noise.....go buy some bias ply tires and add the beautiful sound of tire hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm to your exhaust