2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay so it is the plenum.

Anybody know where the step by step dyi post is for it?
What else do I need besides the huges plenum kit, intake gaskets and bolts? Which huges kit do I need?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wait a minute - how did the discussion move from oil pressure to plenum? those are 2 completely separate, unrelated things, that have absolutely nothing to do with each other - except - the plenum can suck out a lot of your precious oil.

i've never tried to use a vacuum gauge to measure anything but vacuuum - but if you think it might do that - you could test it by connecting it to a water hose, and applying a little bit of pressure to see. home water pressure is typically 50-60 psi, which is about the same as your oil, so it would be a valid test. caution - do this gently and try not to damage your vac gauge.

oil pressure sending unit is on the back of the block, slightly to passenger side, and right beside the distributor. it takes a big 1" + socket or wrench and is hard to get to.

oil pump is (fairly) easily changed by removing braces, starter, dust cover and oil pan. there is a good DIY on pavementsucks tech section.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

We did the oil pressure sender. The oil light does not come on now, but the oil pressure still does not go over 40. It goes down to about 30, at the lowest, but light does not come on any more and it does not drop to 0.

The truck has a bad plenum however, half the air filter is oil soaked. There's oil coming up the TB, so that has to be done. After I do that I will further investigate the oil pressure issue. I have a few other things to fix anyway. It's been a yard truck for the most part, for awhile, but I want to put it on the road, so it's gonna need a bit of work.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
We did the oil pressure sender. The oil light does not come on now, but the oil pressure still does not go over 40. It goes down to about 30, at the lowest, but light does not come on any more and it does not drop to 0.

The truck has a bad plenum however, half the air filter is oil soaked. There's oil coming up the TB, so that has to be done. After I do that I will further investigate the oil pressure issue. I have a few other things to fix anyway. It's been a yard truck for the most part, for awhile, but I want to put it on the road, so it's gonna need a bit of work.
My burns oil more than gas.... (Yes, would you kindly check the gas, and fill up the oil please?) Is it possible the low pressure was due to simply being low on oil?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Nope, oil is full.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 AM
J McWillis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my plenum and oil sending unit today, and I've noticed the pressure has close to doubled. I also ran around 35-45 before the fix. I also did the 180 tstat like everyone recommends. If you've got the cash, it'd also be a good time to do the cap/rotor.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CS - if your plenum has never been fixed, its probably leaking. but - be aware that the PCV dumps into the plenum, so it can bring in oil vapors that might settle out and dirty things up.

i've never seen an air filter soaked in oil in these trucks. that's interesting and i'm wondering how it got that way. the air flow/vac should suck the vapors directly into the runners, and not blow them back against the air filter. it might indicate an intake valve leak? i don't know, just thinking out loud.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
CS - if your plenum has never been fixed, its probably leaking. but - be aware that the PCV dumps into the plenum, so it can bring in oil vapors that might settle out and dirty things up.

i've never seen an air filter soaked in oil in these trucks. that's interesting and i'm wondering how it got that way. the air flow/vac should suck the vapors directly into the runners, and not blow them back against the air filter. it might indicate an intake valve leak? i don't know, just thinking out loud.

Funny story, a while back I changed my air filter and noticed that my air filter had a nasty oil streak in it. I'll check the current filter and get some pics to see if that's still an issue.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
The truck has a bad plenum however, half the air filter is oil soaked.
The oil isn't going to fight the air current to get upstream to your filter.

Check your PCV valve.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The oil isn't going to fight the air current to get upstream to your filter.

Check your PCV valve.
Will do. Thats the push in breather cap on the top of the valve cover isn't it? It looks brand new, but they don't cost much. I'll replace it anyway.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 06-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Issue