2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Cold Start ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 AM
kilo1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Cold Start ??

1999 Ram 5.2

Engine cranks fine
But when first started wont start (Cant hear fuel pump cycle ) turn off key then back on (this time fuel pump cycles ) and starts but little rough then smooths out and runs fine? any ideas ? Thanks !!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be time for a tune up...pull the plugs and cap. Look to see if there corroded. I've heard good things about Napa brand cap and rotors.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:48 AM
kilo1

Originally Posted by J415
Might be time for a tune up...pull the plugs and cap. Look to see if there corroded. I've heard good things about Napa brand cap and rotors.
Sorry forgot to add already replaced Cap, Rotor , Plugs , Wires and a new Coil.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you buy the "house brand" or "premium brand"? Could be a weak battery? You can have that checked for free at your local parts store (usually). Recheck all your work and make sure your connections are snug. Just a thought, but you could also run some sea foam in your gas tank to clean out your fuel system. I noticed that you changed your coil. What happened to your old one that made you change it? Also, try doing a search for this topic. It'll give you some good places to start. My brain's to fried to think right now (lack of sleep). Gotta catch some Z's now.

Last edited by J415; 06-05-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 AM
kilo1

Originally Posted by J415
Did you buy the "house brand" or "premium brand"? Could be a weak battery? You can have that checked for free at your local parts store (usually). Recheck all your work and make sure your connections are snug. Just a thought, but you could also run some sea foam in your gas tank to clean out your fuel system. I noticed that you changed your coil. What happened to your old one that made you change it? Also, try doing a search for this topic. It'll give you some good places to start. My brain's to fried to think right now (lack of sleep). Gotta catch some Z's now.
Premium , did dealership parts for too long , you get what you pay for ! Battery is good new as OEM finally got weak .
Coil was replaced with new Because 1 had a new on in my tool box 2 miles and years still had OEM and 3 tensioner went out and well had to remove coil anyway so replaced with new .
Tried a search but nothing that i could find anyway get some sleep and thanks tommorrows another day .

Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Check fuel pressure at cold start up. See what it does. If the fuel pump doesn't prime on the first shot, you WILL have long crank times.

Quick Reply: Hard Cold Start ??