2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help guys 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
rbmedic75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help guys 911

Ok guys first off I am new to this forum and to the dodge ram 1500 but in no way new to dodge i am a cummins diehard and very avid over on cumminsforum.com I have come here for some help on a little different creature to me.

Ok i bought my son a 1995 dodge ram 1500 that haad been hit in the front end pass side that bent the upper ball joint area on the axle so got all that replaced new fender bumper and what not. I bought the truck from my little brother so I know the trucks history and it ahs sat 3 years since he wrecked it but it was a daily driver before that with no issues. Now my problem the day I brought the truck home on the trailer, unloaded it and hooked up the battery charger for a few min on jumpstart truck cranked over less than 6 times and fired off sounded good let it run for a few then shut it sown no problems, did this a few times that day all with the same result (no problem) the truck sat overnight went out the next day with my son to fire it up and nothing it will crank but will not hit at ALL. checked and the fuel pump was not running so here is what I have checked and done so far

1 checked all the fuses and relays (all fine)
2 pulled the fuel pump checked it no power to the harness (so checked the relay have hot in have ignition hot have ignition ground but as soon as I hit the key the ignition ground goes away)
3 hooked a jumper to the ground post of the battery and the ground post in the relay now the pump will run continuos with the key on and gettign fuel to the rail but truck will not start
4 checked coil was not getting any spark so replaced the coil and still not 100% with my volt meter still not getting voltage on either wire to the coil.

So I need some help guys what could have went wrong did I fry the PCM or what is going on. it will crank fine but no take off

the only thing I can think of is when I was jump starting it the charger was on 200 amp jump start and when the truck did start and run for couple min eacj time (no more than that) i did not take the charger off of it so the alternator light did come on becasue it was overcharging.

Need help guys my kid is 16 and wants to get this thing on the road like last week.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
TheBigRedOne

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the "on" position? It not, check engine control fuse #2. It will be in the PDC under the hood.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
rbmedic75

with the jumper wire from the ground post on batt to the ignition ground on the fuel realy yes the pump kicks on and I have fuel at the little valve stem looking thing on the fuel rail.( it will spray fuel 12" high if you push it in with the pump running but with out the jumper wire I have nothing the pump wont run. but even when I have fuel in the rail it wont start. I can spray it with either (which I dont like) and it will hit but wont start.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 PM
TheBigRedOne

You didn't answer the question.

Go check, that fuse, and while you're in there, check EVERY fuse in the PDC as well as the cab fuse box. Do you get a NO BUS error? Turn the key to on, and leave it in for about 30 seconds. If you see NO BUS in the odometer window, you've got a more complex issue. Usually a bad ground, fuse, or a bad cluster/computer.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95's didnt have digital speedometer's..sounds like a toast computer or asd relay..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 AM
rbmedic75

no without the jumper wire the pump does nothing with the key in any position. but I do not get the no bus message. what the asd relay and how do I check it.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
rbmedic75

all fuses good both places

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
rbmedic75

no more thoughts

Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

Easy check to see if your PCM is fried is to get a scan tool and hook it up to your diagnostic port. if it connects usually your pcm is good. What condition is the battery in, did you run a load test on it, I know some trucks wont fire if there isn't enough volts to the pcm.

Quick Reply: need help guys 911