2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Reedy17
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Yet another problem...

Alright so i was told its called an "Axle Joint" i dont know how accurate that is, but its the joint where the 4x4 meets the caliper and such coming out of the axle, basically i have 1 that is shot and am curious if its all one piece or if the joint is seperate and just has to be pressed or whats the deal with the thing, secondly how much roughly do you think it would cost to have it just get done?

if you dont know what joint im talking about let me know

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

U-Joint. And yes, you can replace just that part. Takes a bit to dig down to it though, so, if you are paying someone else to do it, gonna be at least a hundred, and probably more. (including parts)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Reedy17
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, thanks, i called up a buddy and you got it right on the money, he said he could do it for 100 if i brought the parts, thanks!

now just to get the transfer case vacuum lines, and that pesky belt squeal fixed!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ask your buddy to use extreme care in removing/reinstalling the axles to try as hard as possible - to avoid damaging the axle seals that are buried deep within the axle tubes. plus, since the axle tubes are full of dirt, mud, sand, sticks, dead bugs, pine needles, leaves, rocks, and every other kind of unfriendly object, you need to heavily grease the axle ends before installing, try to lift them rather than than scrape the bottom of the tube, and try to ease them through the seal.... this iis easier said than done...

Quick Reply: Yet another problem...