2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting underbody.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM
barrypotts1b
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting underbody.

Im looking for something to do and sanding and painting my underbody seems like a good idea. Im just not really sure how to go at it. Any help, tips or advice would be great. Im a noobie

Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

get alot of degreaser, brake part cleaner, wd-40, and maybe a wire brush for removing the hard rust.

and for painting it i would just go to the dollar store and buy some flat black spray paint, its only $1 there. or you could get that rubberized undercoating but thats like $8 a can.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
bigslick050
All Star
Arrow The correct method to make your truck frame new

Full Credit of this process I learned goes to Diesel Power Magazine

First off, you need to get a few tools and materials to do this project.

-Putty knives
-Two quarts of SEM Rust-Mort (PN 69504) attacks and eliminates rust
-One gallon of black SEM Rust-Shield (PN 38101) to paint the frame new and prevent rust for years to come
-Air compressor
-Gravity feed paint gun
-Masking tape and masking paper
-eye protection
-Acrylic Reducer (only if a gloss finish is desired)

Step one- Park your truck on large paint blankets to contain the mess your gonna make
Step two- Using putty knives, scrape all the loose paint and rust particles off the frame. Start at the driver side rear of truck and work your way around.
Step three- While your under there is it a good time to check the brake lines, look for oil, fuel, and transmission leaks and to check for things you may ordinarily overlook.
Step four- Once satisfied with the amount of rust and old paint removed, fire up the air compressor to blow away remaining particles on the frame.
Step five- Apply the Rust-Mort (does not need to be diluted) Use a gravity feed gun to apply this chemical. (use eye protection during this)

You will notice an immediate difference. The coating of the rust converter chemical turns the color of the frame black. And try not to inhale the fumes BTW. After Rust-Mort is applied, give it three hours to air dry.

Step six- Before applying the Rust-Shield paint, wrap the entire exhaust system with masking paper. This is also a good time to wrap the transmission, driveshaft, and anything else you do not want overspray to stick to.
Step seven- When spraying the Rust-Shield it is better to do two light coats than one heavy coat. Maintain a 8-14 inch spraying distance from frame while applying. Like the scraping process, start at the driver side rear of the truck and work your way around.

This project is affordable and can be done easily in one day. You will see huge improvement with just a couple hours of hard work. Plus having everything one solid color gives a clean smooth look that will fight rust for years down the road.

SOURCE: SEM Products, Inc 800 831 1122 www.semproducts.com

...maybe a good enough post for the DIY section?........

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 AM
bigslick050
All Star

BTW, I am a professional painter by trade so this was a fairly easy process for me. If you are not, you may want to consider getting a pro for the spraying process. If not, I recommend you just take your time and go slow at it.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
barrypotts1b
Rookie

thanks alot guys. Good advice kind of one simple way and one advanced way.

Quick Reply: Painting underbody.