2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Code help :) Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Shellys4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code help :) Please

Hi everyone Im new here and have a few questions. 2 Days ago I bought my first dodge truck, and LOVE IT! I got a really good deal on it, even tho it has a few issues. I am willing and wanting to put some time and TLC into it. Truck info- Its a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4, it has a lift, not sure how much, and it sits on 35's.

My issue is, its throwing some codes and I am not sure where to start. I don't mind getting a little greasy or doing work, and would love to try and get as much as I can done myself without putting it in the shop.
The codes are...
P0300-301-302-303-304-305-306-307-308 ( I know this is misfire code, but why in all 8 cylinders?) Other 2 codes are P0137-138

Now, the two back O2 sensors had just been replaced as well as the cat ( by previous owner) He had also installed an after market muffler, and I was told that there is a hole somewhere along the lines of that...

Any tips on where to start I don't know anything about these trucks, or engines but I am very eager to learn
Here is a quick pic...

Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa that's a lot of misfires haha.... I'll bump this up for the daytime guys to see, we'll help ya get er figured out

that's a great lookin truck you got there, and I think I see hoodscoops?... welcome to the scoops club hehe and welcome to dodgeforum!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Misfiring on ALL cylinders???? I would have a close look at the tune-up parts. (cap, rotor, wires, plugs). Taking a gander at the coil wouldn't be a bad plan either. Also check fuel pressure.

For the 137-8 codes, indicates bank one, sensor 2 has some issues. I would follow the harness from that one, and see if it hasn't been burned by the exhaust.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
that's a great lookin truck you got there, and I think I see hoodscoops?... welcome to the scoops club hehe and welcome to dodgeforum!
Yeah those are hood scoops, and I think they make the truck look sexy!!! Thanks for the welcome

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Misfiring on ALL cylinders???? I would have a close look at the tune-up parts. (cap, rotor, wires, plugs). Taking a gander at the coil wouldn't be a bad plan either. Also check fuel pressure.

For the 137-8 codes, indicates bank one, sensor 2 has some issues. I would follow the harness from that one, and see if it hasn't been burned by the exhaust.

Okay I will start with that. Any signs on the cap, rotors, wires or plugs I should be looking for?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Cap and rotor are the cheapest. Followed by plugs then wires lastly coil. It could be any of them. I'm gonna put my vote on the coil. But could easily be the dizzy. But start where ever. BTW easy coil test is take the wire off the coil that runs to the distributor and turn the key. Listen for a bunch of zaps really fast. Found it by accident but I knew my coil was good. just my .02

Look on the cap for lightning bolts in carbon and burnt ends. Never hurts to replace the cap and rotor anyway.

Last edited by bigtman07; 06-09-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Premature posturation.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigtman07
Cap and rotor are the cheapest. Followed by plugs then wires lastly coil. It could be any of them. I'm gonna put my vote on the coil. But could easily be the dizzy. But start where ever. BTW easy coil test is take the wire off the coil that runs to the distributor and turn the key. Listen for a bunch of zaps really fast. Found it by accident but I knew my coil was good. just my .02

Look on the cap for lightning bolts in carbon and burnt ends. Never hurts to replace the cap and rotor anyway.

Okay great! Thanks so much for the tips, cant wait to start

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere, and I can't recall where, there is a document explaining the proper routing of the spark plug wires. It could be that the routing of the wires is messed up and at least contributing to the problem...

As far as the other codes... they are O2 sensor related (which I think you may know). Here is what the FSM says:

P0137 (M)
1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted To Ground
Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained below normal operating range.

P0138 (M)
1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage
Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.

Cartman

Last edited by EricCartman; 06-09-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

This Post has the TSB for plug wire routing. Good Idea.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

Okay I will have a look Thank you

Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Shellys4x4
Rookie

Update*** I changed out the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and the previous owner had the 3 & 7 wires mixed up... I just checked and replace all. That got rid of all my misfire codes as well as the 137 code. Now I just had the 138 code left. I went down to take a look at the 02's and wires and both looked great, brand new. called last owner and he said they had just been replaced. However I did notice a hole in the welding on the exhaust, and after some sea foam, it showed a pretty big leak. So I figured I might as well patch it up while working down there. For some reason it took the code away and now the CEL is gone. I didn't think it caused the code to pop up because the leak was at the muffler end, way past the CO2's... But anyways my code trouble is done thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Code help :) Please