2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Hjhf1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything else not working like lights or clock etc? it sounds like you lost a hot wire somewhere,maybe you have a bad relay,switch out the one for the ECM with something else like the horn or A/C and see what you come up with.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lights work. The hazards actually are on of their own volition. The fan turns on and the dash lights up. The speedometer and tachometer needles are resting all the way around against the stop pin. It has some real electric gremlin going on.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right about one thing , It will never start in gear..maybe the cable fraid inside the housing , Got stuck and finally broke.. "unhook the cable", from the shift lever on the trans, and try moving it by hand ? I would do that first , If that don't work , it might be in the transmission..I hope not. Just-Be sure to unhook the cable first...
As for the PDC . Hjhf1500 mentioned losing a hot wire somewhere To or From the PDC , there is a way to test the Fuse Box "PDC" , with an OHM Meter..
If you find out you need a PDC I have one.. I also have a 2004 wiring harness that's cut and the wires are marked where each one go to the truck..
But , there's no way of knowing what's wrong until you can get the transmission in Nuetral..priority one..

Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Do you think the accident the donor truck was in messed up the Trans....knock on wood

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 PM
mstephen89
Captain

hey another idea. you said that the hazars were flashing. I had an old 94 jeep grand cherokee. and if the battery died or you replaced the battery. Whenever you got the battery hooked back up, the lights would flash, and the hazards would flash. I used to have to lock the truck, with the remote, and then unlock it with the remote, or else the truck would not start. something to think about. The difference is that the jeep would turn over, but it would not start. Just an idear, i have no idea if this is your problem, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 AM
joekool4
Professional

Originally Posted by mstephen89
hey another idea. you said that the hazars were flashing. I had an old 94 jeep grand cherokee. and if the battery died or you replaced the battery. Whenever you got the battery hooked back up, the lights would flash, and the hazards would flash. I used to have to lock the truck, with the remote, and then unlock it with the remote, or else the truck would not start. something to think about. The difference is that the jeep would turn over, but it would not start. Just an idear, i have no idea if this is your problem, just thought I'd throw it out there.
My truck does that too. when the siren is hooked up its like the alarm is going off. theres a cut off switch with my alarm that wont allow any juice to anything until i disarm it. Some sort of aftermarket alarm. might could be if you had an alarm or if there was one on the donor.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 AM
mstephen89
Captain

yea thats what my jeep had, but i think mine was a factory alarm, could have been aftermarket.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the trans was damaged in the accident. It shifted fine beforé, but who knows. I'm not sure if it is the alarm thing because it didn't do it the first time I had a Battery hooked up to it. I also had the security removed and the computer reflashed so I would think that would have taken care of it. If that is the case I may have to find a manual way to reset it cause I have no remote for this truck. I'm going to try getting the trans into park or neutral Today.

-update-

I went out popped the cable off trans shifts so the cable is busted. It is now in park but the engine will not crank over. It still is doing the possessed hazard light thing and the dash is slow to come on. I think it is the dang PDC.

Hemi Dak let me know what you need for all your stuff and I will take it that way I can swap parts out and narrow down this problem through the process of elimination.

Last edited by DDIRI; 01-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
rapidtransitric
Rookie

well you needed that trans in park. so nowthat is out of the way did you probe your pdc to make sure you have adequate power coming in to the pdc. if you have a dvm or ohm meter check for opens and voltage loss. do yhis by isolating sections and cavities. your wiring schematic will tell you how much juice you should have and where

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LETS SAY ~ You do have a problem with the PDC..Why would the flashers work..If no power to the steering wheel "You wouldn't have a horn" or windshield wipers.. If you have an alarm system in the truck ~ I don't think it works through the ECM , I think it would work through the power windows cab harness and remote door locks..I would get online and figure out how to manually turn off the alarm.
I think you have to ~unlock the doors ~ turn the key switch on and off two~or three times ~ hold you're right hand over your head and punch yourself in the nuts while making animal sounds..~ it's Something like that..If that don't work ,"look it up"..
Then grab an Ice pack ..

I know arming and disarming the alarm involves working the key switch , you might have unknowingly engaged it trying to crank it up...

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram