2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 1500 no start/spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
CaptChood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram 1500 no start/spark

truck:
98 raM 1500 5.2 auto

hey all this is my first post, so hello. i started my truck and it started idling and then i pushed on the gas to rev it up and the truck died and will not restart. i know the injectors are firing because the plugs are wet after trying to start it but its not getting any spark. i replaced the coil. still no spark. so i checked to see if the coil was getting voltage and it is. so i started think cam sensor in the dizzy was bad, after checking to see if the cam sensor was getting 5 volts i found it wasn't so i then checked the tps for 5 volts and there wasn't any voltage there with the key on run. so i check the 5v feed wire from the pcm on the firewall and there wasn't any voltage there either.

the question:
were dose the computer/pcu get the 5v volts or is the pcm at fault?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Check fuse number 9 in the block on the side of the dash.

And Welcome to DF!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
CaptChood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

I checked fuse #9 and it was good, swapped in a new one just to be sure and still same problems. i know i'm getting the right volts at the pcm pin A17. How many sensors use that wire for power? trying to find a good wiring schematics/diagram so i can trace them all down. i am thinking i may have a bad sensor thats throwing things off but not sure. any help would be appreciated

Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Download the factory service manual in the DIY section. It has wiring diagrams up the ying yang. Should have everything you need to know in there.

Quick Reply: 98 ram 1500 no start/spark