2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
junkyardjeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter question

Does anyone know if the later model 318 and 360 still use the same oil filter as the older Fords (fram PH-8A and m/c FL1),I sent the woman after a oil change for he 98 and she came back with a tiny half quart filter. It looks like there is plenty of room for a full quart filter so if they are the same its going to get a Motorcraft FL-1 or equivelent on the next oil change.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

you can verify this yourself, just grab the fram for your truck and the ph-8a look at the end, there is an alphanumeric 2 digit stamp, if they match, and your area around the filter has ample room, then they fit.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 PM
kj4cwa
Professional

I believe that the larger Motorcraft filter will work. Do a search in the forum for oil filters to confirm. I use the Mobile1 M1-301 on my truck.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
ghost4321
Professional

It's not just the size that matters, if the bypass valve inside has the wrong pressure setting you could cause severe motor damage.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 AM
junkyardjeff
Rookie

I have noticed that most filters now do not have the bypass valve in them anymore.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

the numeric value is size, thread and BPV presence there is no "relief pressure" for the valve it is simply a differential pressure between filter and unfiltered oil. There is a spring present between case and element, that puts physical force on an o ring inside it, when the differential pressure of the two sides is overcome the filter is bypassed. I worked at a factory that made filters in QA/QC immediately following high school, some things aren't forgotten.

junkyardjeff I believe your referring to a drainback valve, or a rubber flap basically that is present on filters installed vertically down or horizontally, it is so they stay primed all the time. If your filter is installed this way, and doesn't have it, you should see if the vehicle has an internal drainback valve or purchase a filter that crossreferences one WITH the valve present. This will lead to premature wear of the engine due to prolonged priming, it's like doing an oil change startup every time you start the car.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 AM
2001Ram
Captain

Ive been running the FL1A for about 15K miles(not on one oil change) works great. no problems. Its a great filter for the price. DONT BUY FRAM! they are junk

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The larger filter works.

Ma Mopar used to run the same filter that Ford uses for a number of years, why they switched to the smaller one, I have no idea. Maybe it was simply to keep oil swaps at an even 5qts, perhaps it's a tighter fit in other vehicles with the same block. Who knows why they switched, but you can run that filter with no problems. I have for 3 years.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Been using the older style (longer) filters for a while with no issues. The filter head is the same.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
junkyardjeff
Rookie

I thought that Mopar and Ford used the same filters but its been so long since the applications were printed on the box I kind of forgot,the next oil change it will get the larger filter.

Quick Reply: oil filter question