2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 4x4 Lift kit recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
96Ram1500NJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to address some of the points made and let you guys know where I'm coming from... HeyYou is correct. I don't want to raise the center of gravity with a body lift because it affords me no extra clearance. I used to run an 85 Toyota with 9'' suspension and 3'' body lift clearing 36's. I never liked the whole implantation having to extend the steering, cut the shifter hole, exposing the frame and raise the bumpers, It also stressed the hell out of the body mounts. I had always wished I had just cut the fenders.

I don't care at all about ride quality, compared to my old Toyota or CJ5 my Dodge will ride like a Cadillac. My only requirement is that the truck is legal.

And AugieDoggy, My truck absolutely has a 2'' block not a 5'', so maybe it's not a factory off road kit, but I could swear that's what the carfax said it was. I assure you I know all about center of gravity and know exactly what I'm getting into. You learn a lot about center of gravity driving a 75 CJ5 with 35's or a mini truck with a 12'' lift. I'm not one of these "craigs list" guys. In fact I built custom vehicles for over 10 years for a conversion company/speed shop and a company that made custom police vehicles like mobile police stations, crime labs, drug surveillance, etc. I don't care about wearing out parts because I can fix them. Wheel bearing, u joints and the occasional blown ring and pinion are of no concern to me. I don't care at all about gas mileage. I was mainly looking for parts manufactures because I wasn't seeing as many options on all the old lift company sites as were available in the past. I know where your coming from though and appreciate your concerns. Idiots rigging their lifts with unsafe stuff like front blocks and improperly working steering and braking components is why we are limited to 38's in NJ now.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Hmm. I kind of surprised nobody brought up the skyjacker kit. Skyjacker has a 5' lift with rear springs, no blocks. Personally that is the kit I got, I am not a big fan of stacking blocks, plus I wanted it lifted with a new leaf pack. It's a bit pricey but overall a very good lift.

Fabtech has a 5.5'' lift kit. Not sure what that has for rear options to be quite truthful. I know of people running 37's with this kit with no problems. The Fabtech does have its drawbacks. Namely that you have a bit of fabricating to do to make the kit work. Not bad, just depends on your skill level and patience.

As somebody else had stated you also go with the Skyjacker 7'' lift kit, it's pricey but is a great kit. Know guys running this as well from other sites, and they love it.

just a few options for you.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Ram1500NJ
Thanks for the advice guys. Just to address some of the points made and let you guys know where I'm coming from... HeyYou is correct. I don't want to raise the center of gravity with a body lift because it affords me no extra clearance. I used to run an 85 Toyota with 9'' suspension and 3'' body lift clearing 36's. I never liked the whole implantation having to extend the steering, cut the shifter hole, exposing the frame and raise the bumpers, It also stressed the hell out of the body mounts. I had always wished I had just cut the fenders.

I don't care at all about ride quality, compared to my old Toyota or CJ5 my Dodge will ride like a Cadillac. My only requirement is that the truck is legal.

And AugieDoggy, My truck absolutely has a 2'' block not a 5'', so maybe it's not a factory off road kit, but I could swear that's what the carfax said it was. I assure you I know all about center of gravity and know exactly what I'm getting into. You learn a lot about center of gravity driving a 75 CJ5 with 35's or a mini truck with a 12'' lift. I'm not one of these "craigs list" guys. In fact I built custom vehicles for over 10 years for a conversion company/speed shop and a company that made custom police vehicles like mobile police stations, crime labs, drug surveillance, etc. I don't care about wearing out parts because I can fix them. Wheel bearing, u joints and the occasional blown ring and pinion are of no concern to me. I don't care at all about gas mileage. I was mainly looking for parts manufactures because I wasn't seeing as many options on all the old lift company sites as were available in the past. I know where your coming from though and appreciate your concerns. Idiots rigging their lifts with unsafe stuff like front blocks and improperly working steering and braking components is why we are limited to 38's in NJ now.
you had me curious about the lift blocks so I just went out and measured mine...3 1/4 " (block itself without perches)....maybe the offroad edition uses larger springs and smaller blocks than the stock ones ..mines not an offroad edition can anyone else out there with a 96 confirm the block size as im curious now...mine aren't aftermarket at all from what I could tell.
and yeah I know what your saying about the cj5...I had a lifted cj7 and wrangler.and a lifted golfcart that does 35mph..
I still stand by the facts that a body lift raises the center of gravity and alters the ride less than any other type of lift...so I still dont really understand what you were trying to say there. your driveshaft and solid axles still give you the exact same clearence?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 06-28-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you had me curious about the lift blocks so I just went out and measured mine...3 1/4 " (block itself without perches)....maybe the offroad edition uses larger springs and smaller blocks than the stock ones ..mines not an offroad edition can anyone else out there with a 96 confirm the block size as im curious now...mine aren't aftermarket at all from what I could tell.
and yeah I know what your saying about the cj5...I had a lifted cj7 and wrangler.and a lifted golfcart that does 35mph..
I still stand by the facts that a body lift raises the center of gravity and alters the ride less than any other type of lift...so I still dont really understand what you were trying to say there. your driveshaft and solid axles still give you the exact same clearence?
More suspension travel, more clearance between the T-case and the ground. Better approach/departure/breakover angles. There are a lot of advantages of suspension lift, over body lift. Trouble is, suspension lift is MUCH more expensive.....

And its true, just doing a body lift, will have LESS effect on center of gravity, than an equivalent suspension lift. You are lifting less weight, so, that is perfectly reasonable. Most lift manufacturers take that into account, and compensate for it some with spring rates. Also, the mandatory sticker "This is a lifted vehicle, and if you do something silly, it WILL kill you."

Modifying any vehicle is not without risk. Especially when you start getting into large lifts, larger tires, etc. Everything about making your truck more capable OFF road, makes it more dangerous On road. Ya just gotta keep that in mind, and realize that your 3 ton + truck, is not going to corner like a Viper. Well, Ok, it might, once..... but, the results won't be enjoyable.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Gord.
Rookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
One problem i see with this is there was no off-road edition in 96... 3 1/4" sounds about right from my 95 though, definitely taller than 2".
Gord.

Quick Reply: 1996 4x4 Lift kit recomendations please