2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
BowlerGT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions

Really havnt gotten around to working on the dodge with work and just getting back from vacation last week but went out and was crawling around under the front end just looking around. Found 2 plugs that were not connected to anything. First one I found went to the indicator for the 4x4, the connected had corroded so I cut off the ends and just hard wired them together and now my 4x4 light comes on when I put it in 4x4 first question does this mean my 4x4 works? Im not able to take it out on the road yet to test it so thats why I'm wondering. Second plug I found is right in front of the steering box, I couldnt find anything around it would plug into my only thought was maybe for a harness for foglights seeing my truck doesnt have them?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If the light comes on, that implies the front axle is disconnect is working as it should, if your transfer case actually engages when put in four wheel drive, then, yep, you have 4x4.

As for the 'spare' connector.... Real possibility, can you post a pic?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
BowlerGT

How do I know if the transfer case in engaging? I used to have an F150 but it had the electronic switch and I heard a clunk everytime it engaged, I hear nothing in the dodge. Let me go try to get a picture

and sorry my dog saw the camera and wanted her picture taken too
Name:  DSC01770.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  64.3 KB

Last edited by BowlerGT; 06-28-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cute Dog.

Stick your truck in 4 wheel drive. (engine NOT running......) crawl under there, and try and rotate the front drive shaft. Doesn't turn? T-case works.

I can't think of anything else that would be up where that connector is.... aside from the foglights, or, maybe a "high pressure power steering switch", that would bump idle when you had your steering turned to full lock. (thus, high pressure....)

I don't think our trucks bother with the switch, but, fog lights seem to be awful popular.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
BowlerGT

Isnt the front drivesaft always connected to one drive wheel?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, but, if the T-case is NOT engaged, then, the CAD unit shouldn't be either, so, you can roll the driveshaft around, when the truck is in 2wd. (yes, I have verified this. not ten minutes ago. Changed out the front U-joint.)

Quick Reply: 2 Questions