2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Runs Perfect - Then Dies - HELP with 99 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005 | 06:41 PM
pumba
Default Runs Perfect - Then Dies - HELP with 99 5.9L

I have been having a reoccurring problem with my 1999 1500, 5.9L where it runs perfect then the engine stops without warning. This occurs at random intervals, perhaps 2 to 4 times during a 15 mile trip. Speed is not a factor as this will happen when I am not moving or when I am at 65mph. It does not matter if the road is smooth or rough in case I had a loose electrical connection. And at times, I may drive the same 15 miles without a problem (getting worse every week).

Once the engine has stopped, it may take anywhere from the 1st crank (3 seconds) to the 30th crank (3 minutes) in order to restart. All dash lights, A/C fan, radio, etc continue to operate. The starter engages and will turn the engine over just fine, but the engine seems dead to the world as if the engine electronics had been disconnected. Once the engine decides to restart it runs perfect again.

I took the truck to the Dodge dealer and they found no codes or problems that they could detect. Of course the truck ran fine when they took it for a road test. But wouldn’t you know it, the engine stopped again within 3 miles of the dealer and took 3 minutes to start.

This is a tricky problem since I can not reproduce it on demand and there is no code for reference.

Please provide advice!

Thanks,

Ron

Old 05-18-2005 | 07:00 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Runs Perfect - Then Dies - HELP with 99 5.9L

check the fuel pump or auto shutdown relay. the pump should turn on when the key is 1st turned on... you can hear it and it's easy to check. if it dies on you, pull over and listen for the pump when you turn the key on, stays of for about 2 seconds, then off.

Old 05-18-2005 | 09:14 PM
1500sport
Professional

I recently had a problem with my truck dying (01 sport sputters and dies thread) and thought it wouldn't be wiring related. It would run great with no signs of trouble. I drive rough county roads for a couple miles to the highway and then the highway for about 20 miles. My truck died once last week while simply cruising down the highway and did the same thing this week cruising down the highway. Took it to dodge dealer and they said it was a bar wire going to the computer shorting out. I sure hope it is fixed now because after only two days i miss my truck.

Old 07-29-2005 | 02:13 AM
pumba

I finally took my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 to a non-dealer repair shop which has worked on my 96 Cadillac Seville in the past. When I called him on the phone and explained the problem, he thought it may be the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Yes, it turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The repair shop replaced this and I have not had one problem in over 2 months.

Here is a link to another Dodge Forum post which experience the same problem. The link also has a good explaination of the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Dodge Ram >> 2nd Gen >> 99 5.9 Wont start

https://dodgeforum.com/m_140756/tm.htm

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: Runs Perfect - Then Dies - HELP with 99 5.9L