2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow Hooks

Im looking at putting tow hooks on my truck so I have something to pull from the front

The problem is I dont have a clue were the tow hooks were mounted on these trucks, I picked up a Reese 10,000LB hook to mess around with but was hoping someone had pictures of where their tow hooks were mounted and how there bolted on.

Im not sure if im going to have to build brackets or not any info helps

thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You really need something like the factory tow kit oir fab up your own brackets. There are picks on here, do a search for tow hooks. But let me offer this suggestion for you. Get a front receiver hitch. That is so much more versitle then tow hooks, and so much stronger too. It is really the best way to go in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Im just looking for something as a safety measure because im only 2wd and like to hang with 4x4s so I just want to spend maybe $20 bucks and be able to use them once if its all they last, plus I could use them at work and helping other friends out, dont want to spend allot on it or allot of time.

I totally understand what your saying about getting a front hitch but I really dont like the look and I dont think I will use it enough to justify the money or work to install one

Even if they end up not visible and kinda under the front end as long as they can be used without messing up the front bumper because soon enough the new one will be on

Old 07-06-2010, 03:43 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
{ ... } so I just want to spend maybe $20 bucks and be able to use them once if its all they last { ... }
It's gonna suck quite a lot if they last only half of once and you're not only stuck but you've pissed off the guy who was trying to pull you out by slingshotting a busted hook at his head.

You can't run with the big dogs if you're going to pee like a puppy. Do it right.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you will have a hard time finding anything for 20 bucks that will be safe enough to actually use... unless you are quite crafty in fabrication and have some material laying around.

I think the cheapest, yet still safe way to go would be a set of factory tow hooks from the off road package (btw, no other 2nd gen ram was offered with tow hooks... thats ridiculous). I installed some on my 2nd gen and they are fairly stout for a bolt on operation... I didn't even have to drill any holes in the frame, it was simply bolt on (not sure about your 2wd though).

And like Silver stated, the stoutest setup would be a Reese type hitch that mounted to each side of the frame rail. It will transfer the pull to each side of the frame at the same time as apposed to just one side/area like the tow hook does.

Even though you are not looking for some type of serious tow point, it is no place to skimp on. I have seen/read about horror stories... like where hooks get ripped off the bumper/frame while being pulled with a strap, which then gets sling shot THROUGH the tailgate/cab/seat and continues on through the fella driving. Not a good idea.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

my plan is to get some like 4x4 steel plates maybe 1/2" think, and weld them to the frame as beef up plates. then drill holes through them and through the frame and bolt it up. that way its beefed up and not gonna come lose on some pos bracket.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought a set of used tow hooks on ebay for about $75. they're sold new for about $120, also on ebay.
they have L-shaped brackets that wrap around the frame and cross member.

the problem is the cross member is weak, and the frame is curved out at the end, so there's nowhere to mount the bare hook.

here's some pictures.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-38.html

Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i bought a set of used tow hooks on ebay for about $75. they're sold new for about $120, also on ebay.
they have L-shaped brackets that wrap around the frame and cross member.

the problem is the cross member is weak, and the frame is curved out at the end, so there's nowhere to mount the bare hook.

here's some pictures.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-38.html
And the factory tow hooks are only rated for something like 5k before they start to bend.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
You really need something like the factory tow kit oir fab up your own brackets. There are picks on here, do a search for tow hooks. But let me offer this suggestion for you. Get a front receiver hitch. That is so much more versitle then tow hooks, and so much stronger too. It is really the best way to go in my opinion.

That is EXACTLY what I did on my Grand Cherokee.

The investment is not much more than going the stealership route for just the factory tow hooks, at about $180 (at least for the GC, may be cheaper for the Ram as I believe there is more available than just Mopar and Warn in my case).

I have the versatility of switching from my home made light bar to my winch or slide a receiver mounted clevis in. Also have the ability to use any of the above on either the rear of the Jeep or the rear of my truck.
The front hitch stays fairly well hidden when not in use:

Name:  0706001111.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  25.4 KB

Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
audioman10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how come the offroad package ram is so much different than the regular ram the gears the suspension its crazzy. lol i kinda happy i own one lol..

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks